Replastering of Hallway Walls

Members online

JasK

Hi I’m Jas. I’m a nurse by profession and although I enjoy some DIY, I have no clues about plastering.

A few days back I stripped the hallway of the old wall paper and a dado rail. One was in the hallway connects to the living room, and one wall (along the stairway) is an exterior wall. I can see several hair line cracks and have some areas where the cement came away. I’ve had two people come in and view what needs to be done to achieve smooth walls which can be plastered over.

The first man gave a quote of roughly £1000 to patch up the plaster, use a mesh over the cracks and then skim the whole hall way. He said it would be okay to paint over once dry.

The second man said as it’s such old plaster and cracked, it would all need to come off to bare brick before being replastered.

Can someone please advise as to what they think the more suitable option is. Thank you in advance for your time and suggestions.
953EE8CA-9508-435C-8BE5-733033D9EA6F.jpeg

Attachments

• 957ED9CD-18DE-4AFA-BD02-BCB4D3B187F4.jpeg
    957ED9CD-18DE-4AFA-BD02-BCB4D3B187F4.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 121
  • 38ACCBC7-C2F6-4542-8984-6B09FE47CEF4.jpeg
    38ACCBC7-C2F6-4542-8984-6B09FE47CEF4.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 110
Last edited:
Hi I’m Jas. I’m a nurse by profession and although I enjoy some DIY, I have no clues about plastering.

A few days back I stripped the hallway of the old wall paper and a dado rail. One was in the hallway connects to the living room, and one wall (along the stairway) is an exterior wall. I can see several hair line cracks and have some areas where the cement came away. I’ve had two people come in and view what needs to be done to achieve smooth walls which can be plastered over.

The first man gave a quote of roughly £1000 to patch up the plaster, use a mesh over the cracks and then skim the whole hall way. He said it would be okay to paint over once dry.

The second man said as it’s such old plaster and cracked, it would all need to come off to bare brick before being replastered.

Can someone please advise as to what they think the more suitable option is. Thank you in advance for your time and suggestions. View attachment 71154
All depends on ye budget . But if your staying in house long term ye may as well do it right

Will ensure it is fully meshed. Will post pictures when finished. Thank you all for your advice.