Replastering damp wall

devilindisguise

Hello everyone

I have a bad damp problem on our party wall. The wall is currently covered in a gypsum plaster. It’s an old 1890s solid brick house. I was advised that in general breathable materials such as lime-based plaster should have been used. One of the damp surveyors has suggested to hack off up to 1m the existing plaster and re-plaster with lime plaster.

My question is: where the two types of plaster meet, will they be able to form a proper bond between them? I know may sound like a silly question but I have no experience in this area.

Another question if you don’t mind is this: say I remove the existing plaster back to the brick. If I were to install a air-gap membrane over the brick would that negate the need for a lime plaster and I could instead just plaster over with gypsum once again?

Thank you for any help and guidance.

Firstly you'd need a party wall.agreement , 1m high isn't enough in my opinion. I'd hack it all off and let it dry and keep photos of day 1-7 then get an expert in

here's jonny j bonding!.jpg

Make sure to use a strong high strength waterproof plaster. Your best bet would be to get a damp surveyor in beforehand to give you a correct diagnosis before spending money and time on re-pastering.

Make sure to use a strong high strength waterproof plaster. Your best bet would be to get a damp surveyor in beforehand to give you a correct diagnosis before spending money and time on re-pastering.
What do you mean by waterproof plaster? I know there’s breathable and s/c but don’t think I’ve heard of waterproof

Hello everyone

I have a bad damp problem on our party wall. The wall is currently covered in a gypsum plaster.

What's on the other side of the party wall?

If it's the inside of their house then the problem is higher up, roof level most likely. If it's their garden or an outbuilding then what (if anything) is their side of the wall coated with?

Haven't you got some holes to drill? That snake oil won't inject itself.

vintage salesman GIF by Challenger