Replacing & Repointing spalling bricks

Members online

azzza82

Hi I've been told to use a softer mortar such as a lime mortar for replacing bricks and pointing spalling brick work my question is I've found some pre bagged mixed lime mortar 25kg do I add sand&cement to this,or just use it straight from the bag with water thanx

Lime will be in a separate bag inside bag of sand, mix both together dry, add water, give it time to activate (e.g quick tea break), then use.
leave it several days to dry, maybe point it a bit next day.

What type of lime for spalling brickwork if I can't find ready mixed lime I'm thinking of blue circle hydrating is that suitable and what sand I use and ratios thanx
Hi the is too many varieties and variables would depend on age type of brick and how soft it is. A hydradated lime is more or less a plasticiser so you wouldn’t be able to use that.
It’s a skilled job to understand the product needed and source it and to carry out the work with knowledge of drying and curing processes that even modern bricklayers would not be able to complete. Not really the type of job to undertake if you haven’t before so would suggest getting a local professional

What type of lime for spalling brickwork if I can't find ready mixed lime I'm thinking of blue circle hydrating is that suitable and what sand I use and ratios thanx

Just putting hydrated lime in doesn't constitute a lime mortar.

Start by looking at lime putty.

On one of the big lime sites, Mike wye or lime org, or lime mortars.

Hi the is too many varieties and variables would depend on age type of brick and how soft it is. A hydradated lime is more or less a plasticiser so you wouldn’t be able to use that.
It’s a skilled job to understand the product needed and source it and to carry out the work with knowledge of drying and curing processes that even modern bricklayers would not be able to complete. Not really the type of job to undertake if you haven’t before so would suggest getting a local professional
I appreciate your help and advice I really do but a lime plasterer would cost me a fortune but from the photo I uploaded if it were your house what would you use the house was built in 1930 using seconds clay bricks only two corners are like this everywhere else has just the odd brick thats spalled thanx

There you go, use these people - everything you need in one bag without needing to know about all the detail. They also include a helpful info on mixing and using.
Lime mortars and renders are a huge and complicated technical subject before you even get into the trade knowledge gained over time from using them.

Using an experienced lime plasterer or brickie will not cost you a fortune, neither are they cheap, but if it is more than a few bricks it would be worthwhile. It is an investment in probably the most valuable asset you own. Done properly it will last years and increase the value, done wrong by cheap skating, and the reverse applies.
Do you try to fix the dents and spray your own car with Halfords spray cans? Or accept the bill when you have saved up to have it done properly.

Does spalling only apply to certain types of brick or can any brick became spalled
Is there anything other than spalling that can happen to bricks over time.

i agree with what your saying its just a money issue im not trying to do a cowboy job if i cant find ayone cheap enough then im just gonna try some hydraulic lime mortar since it dries faster as for other special lime mortars which can take a year or more to set i wouldn't be able to cover up the bricks to keep mortar dry if I'm rendering it why would it matter if I use standard cement it's gonna get cov ered any way.

Any brick can spall, it's the vagaries of how its made, weather and location. "year or more to set"? ?? Bull, you're fixing a few bricks not building something. Standard lime mortar from that link takes only a few days in total.
Cement mortar patches on spalling bricxkwork can blow off pretty quickly, even under render -depending on the render and application (don't ask me about modern renders).