Replacing behind a radiator? Best option?

Members online

pfbb

Hi,

Thanks for reading! I have a couple of questions about replacing some old plaster for you experts if that’s okay? We had a radiator with a leaky valve so I figured it was time to replace and redecorate behind it, since the people before us replastered without removing the radiator and it was a bit of a mess. I wasn’t prepared for this though:

9E9C0E63-6C1C-4460-B261-903032519D81.jpeg

The plaster seems solid everywhere else on the wall but is a bit of a horrorshow behind it! I’ve removed it all and this is what I’m faced with:

C1049FDC-8751-49BC-9CF8-5F94FBA8642F.jpeg

My plan today is to repoint the loose bricks and rake out and replace some of the worst bits of mortar. My first question iswhat would you guys do about these big holes that the previous person stuffed with cardboard!?

1199DC62-48E6-4DDA-8173-F0BADBD0B043.jpeg

There’s also a load of cardboard stuffed under sill between that and the bricks!

my next question is, once the wall is prepped, would you go for sand and cement, or plasterboard. As a bit of background, I’ve previously been on a skimming course and I’m fairly confident on that front, but that was just onto plasterboard, so I think that would be easiest and get the best finish, but it’s not an incredibly deep hole I need to patch so that might be an issue with dot and dab?

Also, given we’ll need to replace the radiator, would sand and cement be more secure, or will it not really matter since the fixings will be into the wall (and the new radiator will be on legs anyway).

And those wood bits in the picture protrude further than the bricks. If dot and dabbing, can you plaster straight on to them or do I need to prep that somehow?

Thanks so much for reading, I’m looking forward to all your advice!!!!

Fix an insulating panel to the hidden area , float and skim hardwall to exposed ( assuming you have cavity filled walls )

Push bits of EPS into large gaps under board and top face inch with expanding foam

If you’re doing this as a diy job and not getting a pro in I’d probably just board it if you have clearance and patch in best you can as you will most likely make a pigs ear of it (y)

Pull all that cardboard out and replace it with freshly scrunched newspaper.
Try and get some with the date on and some interesting coronavirus news.

Hahaha....funnily enough, when I removed a built in wardrobe when we first moved in, I found about 20 newspapers from the 70’s shoved down behind it!!!

If you’re doing this as a diy job and not getting a pro in I’d probably just board it if you have clearance and patch in best you can as you will most likely make a pigs ear of it (y)

Thanks for the advice. I have been leaning towards this for that very reason as I’d like to do it myself. I’ve just been furloughed, so I’m now in the position where I have the both time to do it, and the lack of money to get a pro to do it!

I think the clearance will be tight though!

I’ll post the pigs ear when it’s done!!!

Fix an insulating panel to the hidden area , float and skim hardwall to exposed ( assuming you have cavity filled walls )

Hi - Thanks for the reply. Do you mean put the insulating panel under the sill, or dot and dab an insulating board to the wall and skim that?

Hi - Thanks for the reply. Do you mean put the insulating panel under the sill, or dot and dab an insulating board to the wall and skim that?
Undertile insulation board , stick with foam addy to the wall scrim joints and skim , fix brackets for rad through to brick
Google marmox , unless guys know better product
Lot of faff compared to straight float but an option to consider

solid wall... prolly 9" you can see the headers 3 up from skirting..
s+c with plenty waterproofer as mentioned already plus if you rake out the loose joints first itll help tie that crappy brickwork back together