Repairing a rather old coving

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fragonard

I wonder if anybody can help me? I'm doing up this old house and there's quite a nice coving in the front room and entrance hall-way. It's pretty old and very brittle. I would like to keep it and make reapirs to it. Could any of you good people advize on how to best go about doing this? And please, don't be too technichal. Thank you.

I gather that first of all you would just add the wet plaster to the damaged area and just leave enough on to be proud of the finished shape? And then you sand down to the desired end shape?

If it is just that little bit in the picture use pollyfiller as mike says but, do not try to fill then all in one go ie build it up in layers (wait till each layer has set before apply next) and just use a small steel rule or the like to get the last layer flush'ish then sand it to required finish.

hi Fragonard-

paint a week mix of pva on the damaged area, especially if the surface is friable (dusting and weak)- in small mixing bowl add water sprinkle casting plaster to soak up the water and mix, feed the casting plaster onto the damaged area, with a small tool whilst this is still soft- screed of the both sides each member with a joint rule and repeat until complete. If the damaged area is deep dip scrim in the casing (plaster wads )making sure its below the finished level allow to set and continue as above. good luck (upload photos of end product):RpS_thumbsup:

I've just done a search and found a plstering supplies co. What's the best? Leaf and swuare small tool or Trowel and square small tool for my requirements? What's the brush used for? Sorry for being so ignorant?

sand paper :RpS_scared: I thought plasterers worked plaster whilst it is in a workable state -:RpS_lol: not set, to sand down, are u guys (painters ) in disguise:RpS_lol:

sand paper :RpS_scared: I thought plasterers worked plaster whilst it is in a workable state -:RpS_lol: not set, to sand down, are u guys (painters ) in disguise:RpS_lol:

no the op seems not to have a scooby so i gave him a DIY solution to a craftsmans job rather than blind him with science with busks and small tools etc all that said by the amount of plastering that needs done on the property i would of thought that the craftsman he would obviously need to employ to take on a project of this size would of been able to either complete the small very basic repairs to the cornice or at very least advise/supervise while the op did the repairs himself of course this is is all just my assumptions based on a few pics and what little info provided :RpS_thumbup:

This sounds like a job for Ryan!!?? @Fiberhand7 go on do a vid and post it up :RpS_thumbsup:

Think my vid would involve legging it to the nearest pub for refreshment!? Thirsty work plastering you know :RpS_laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.