Rendering with sbr

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommyswindon

Has anyone rendered with sbr in the top coat before? I am finding it drags and the finish isn't too clever anyone got any tips?

hi Tommy, are you allowed to put a touch of febmix in your topcoat to help the 'dragging' effect your getting? I sympathise with you as with SBR alone to get a good quality plain rubbed finish is difficult. fingers crossed for you pal

Is the render mix dry sand and cement ? then you add the SBR instead of water. or are you using ordinary sand cement and water then adding SBR......?

were doin a job at the moment which is just faceing up over the top of exsisting render and quoins and the gear weve been asked to use is kiln dried sand cement a dash of water then loads all sbr untill its to a creamy yet stickey consistency, it only goes on real thin but i think it rubs up a treat, although i am the only one on the firm that likes useing it so ive just been left there on my own to plod along with it

Last edited:
were doin a job at the moment which is just faceing up over the top of exsisting render and quoins and the gear weve been asked to use is kild dried sand cement a dash of water then loads all sbr untill its to a creamy yet stickey consistency, it only goes on real thin but i think it rubs up a treat, although i am the only one on the firm that likes useing it so ive just been left there on my own to plod along with it
Silver sand? Have you sbr,d the wall beforehand

yeah its had a sbr slurry first then a pass over with this render the top once the slurrys stickey

images
this sand asif

because its soo strong in sbr its almost electric blue in colour once knocked up but dries to a silvery colour

Only working under instruction Jase I know but that sounds bollox if the existing is **** and your covering it thin then yours will lookshit

the exsisting was solid still but all the ashlar lines was worn away and the quoins were looking tired, when the sun hits it, it is mottled but it looks alot better than it did

I use the same to render swimming pools over insulation boards ! but i embed mesh into it strong as fook , and i love working with it , if you give it a very light flash /mist of water it will rub-up a treat !, i never rub-up just trowel on and trowel-up finished ......

to be fair i started the job giving it a rub with a float but then as i worked out how to do it more i found it was better to lay it on then just go over it a couple more times to flatten it in as its drying out (takes ages) then a light fairly dry slightly damp sponge brings it up a treat. its almost better to get it as flat as is humanly possible off the trowel then let it set right up and the sponge brings it right back to life.
mustard gear for patching in render which would normaly be able to spot the patch straight away. just clean the edges straighten them up a bit render the patch as you normally would just leave it a mm or 2 shy of finished surface still float it then the next day just use this gear, the sands so fine it blends in to nothing but the finish grain is the same as traditional finish and is untraceable once painted:RpS_thumbup:

Yes mate i never really rub-up now just trowel,no straight edge's, i'am trying to come -up with my own product based on this material for pools, did you know that the SBR actually speeds-up the set of the cement ? from about 40-50 mins to 15-20 mins ?.......

Yes mate i never really rub-up now just trowel,no straight edge's, i'am trying to come -up with my own product based on this material for pools, did you know that the SBR actually speeds-up the set of the cement ? from about 40-50 mins to 15-20 mins ?.......

Spot on gooner i have a good knowledge of polymers calcium carbonates and cements as i have a few products of my own some of which can be used in a swimming pool if you need any help with your mix design give me a shout id be happy to help

Spot on gooner i have a good knowledge of polymers calcium carbonates and cements as i have a few products of my own some of which can be used in a swimming pool if you need any help with your mix design give me a shout id be happy to help

on top of the slurry today it was hanging around for ages but yes usually it was goin off, not quick but a nice pace

yeah its had a sbr slurry first then a pass over with this render the top once the slurrys stickey
would that method work on existin s+c that was steel trowelled?? and new finish to be steel trowelled? have a job redoing a milking parlour,but the steel trowel finish makes me think nothin will bond right, have u ever tried it on anything like that??

Status
Not open for further replies.