Rendering up to painted aluminium windows

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bernard

Hi

We have new painted aluminium windows. Our house is currently being rendered, and although we have covered and taped the windows up as best we can the renderer has given us deep and multiple scratches all along the edges of the windows.

So, how do we avoid this on the remaining windows please? Is there a technique or a specific tool that would help?

thanks

Give Protekor a call to discuss..... I'm sure the other bead manufacturers do something similar

I bet the guys who do EWI refurbs will be able to comment and help more....hang around - someone will be on soon!

I render to alu windows regularly. What tape have you used? What render have you chosen and who the hells applying it??

The tape is a low tack tape. Initially we taped it right up to edges of the windows, but then it is hard to remove and get a clean line finish. Then we pulled it back from the edge, and then we got lots of scratches along where the tool has run up and down. Beng applied by a local plasterer...

I use a low tack tape on painted frames to prevent the paint coming off with the tape. I would then put gaffa tape on top of the low tack.

Yes as rigsby says.....uv resistant PVC tape with gaffa over the top. It helps if you know where the angle bead will sit so you can run your tape to the future line of the bead. Usually put a bead of silicone around the frames on completion covering any tape creeping behind reveal. It's a good idea to leave the protective foil on the frames if their newly installed and the rendering follows soon after

the renderer needs to take care with rendering up to alu windows and should really have considered the APU window bead. there should be no abrasive action from rendering or cleaning against this type of window

Line tape up with the corner bead and another on top set back 5mm to stop scratching through tape. Peel off when finished, bang on straight line. ( if your spreads any good!)

Status
Not open for further replies.