Rendering stone farmhouse

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

solway

Hello all,ive just been to look at a job for a builder that I do work for.Its an old stone farmhouse that was originally lime rendered back in the day but I suppose about 20-30 years ago it got a face lift with a wet dash finish.The residents want to give the house another facelift.First of all they looked to have the external insulated render done but that was out of their budget then it was put to them that it should be lime rendered but that was also not in their budget.The 3rd option was to do in sand cement.This was in their budget so they are going for a scud,1 fillout coat,1 scratch coat and a wet dash finish again. I stated to the builder that it should be lime rendered to allow the wall to breath.He said that he stressed this to the architect but architect said that a sand/cement finish will be fine.Builder said that he said this in front of the residents and architect in a site meeting so his 'ass is covered'.

I priced the job on the builder/architects spec of a scudding coat(2 sand to 1 cement),fill out coat(3 sand 1 cement not sure whether to use plasticiser/waterproffer),scratch coat/straightening coat(4 sand 1 cement plasticiser/waterproffer) and wet dash finish(5 stone,2 sand,2 lime,1 cement)

There are a handful of cracks in the building aswell that I have to cover with riblathe.
I was going to add sbr to the scud coat aswell but there is no way id be able to render it while 'tacky'.We cant get soverign sbr here in Ireland.

Its not like there is a choice of work out there so whatever comes along I don't usually turn away.

I know its the wrong product/system to apply on this house as does the builder/architect but I can only do as I am told and what is in the residents budget.

My question is this,what way would ye tackle the above?

Just get on with it - it won't 'fail' FFS!!
And if there wasn't a builder and an architect further up the chain the customer would probably have enough of a budget to do it in lime :RpS_thumbup:

Crack on bud only thing you might want to look at us adding fibres into the render to reduce cracking.

Do a search for them on here been covered loads.

A bit expensive making a sbr laden scud coat? I would brush on a SBR slurry coat (sbr/cement) and a scud coat on this whilst wet. But if the budget allows for a sbr scud coat then fair enough, a saving on labour.

I do not know how bad the stone is. I have had to put on up to 5 coats on some stone walls.

I agree with Rigsby, I have rendered lots of stonewalls down our way. None of it blown and no cracks

Status
Not open for further replies.