Rendering regulations

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mickyboy

Hi guys

priced o job for a customer to knock of old dashing . Apply base coat mesh and acrylic topcoat .
The customer accepted the quote and we got him booked in to start in 4 weeks time.
today he phoned me to ask about a new regulation that states if your house hasn't had the benefit of cavity wall insulation any new render which is more than 25% of the total area has to have insulated render as opposed to the one we quoted .
The customer is worried if he wants to sell the house in the future this may become a problem, he says it works in conjunction with building regulations and the ewi scheme.
Any feedback appreciated

Its a reg of part L I think and it does exist but I have run into this before where the cost of repair is a fraction of Ewi and then the customer says well I can't afford b so do a and the inspectors are like oh right ok well u need to Ewi its regs so customer says oh well who's gonna pay.... Its a crock of sh1t

So why do they not just get the cavity walls insulated before you re-do it ? are the grants not still available for it ?

So why do they not just get the cavity walls insulated before you re-do it ? are the grants not still available for it ?

Miller Patterson surveyed there house and said it wasn't suitable for cavity wall insulation, so they took there advise

Its a reg of part L I think and it does exist but I have run into this before where the cost of repair is a fraction of Ewi and then the customer says well I can't afford b so do a and the inspectors are like oh right ok well u need to Ewi its regs so customer says oh well who's gonna pay.... Its a crock of sh1t

yes it's is part of the part L regulation , so where does the customer stand , he doesn't wants to pay the extra for ewi

its a very grey area is this part L reg, its a question of weather they deem it decorative finish or weather they deem it to have a thermal value. if it was a like for like swap going back on you might be covered but because its a different system that's where the confusement comes in.
can you not get an improvement else where ie loft insulation? the government were going to inforce it but do to cost cutting etc they have left it for the time being.
I always get the customer to sign a disclaimer saying that you've informed them that it should really be ewi, if they havnt opted for it.
I think they've just revised part l but ive no idea what the revisions are, that for me tells its own story in that were a half decent size rendering outfit and we no nothing about it.

The customer is right you ned local council building regs approval. Here in Sheffield it it currently £96. If you have a Cavity then the easiest way is to have the cavity insulated. If that cannot be done then it is either an insulated render system or insulated plastering to the inside walls of the outside walls.

There is a get out though. If the payback in savings is not paid back within (I think) 15 years so in 15 years the cost of the insulation cannot be re-couped against the savings made then it can be waived. So a massive over eggarerated quotation against projected fuel costs will sometimes do the trick.

Another alternative is to chance it and hope the customer doesn,t get caught whilst the work is ongoing then if anybody asks the work was done pre 2008. I have been caught 4 times so far but it is not my problem but the customers. On all 4 the customer did have cavity wall insulation but didn't want to pay the fee. All but one paid the filled in the form and paid the fee. One of them we had to take some bricks out to show the insulation was in place. The one that didn't pay said she was leaving the house in a wooden box so not her problem.

As to what if you ignore the rules? Well they cannot make you do insulated rendering, you can have what you want and there is no fine either. But the work will be recorded as work started but not yet signed off, so when it comes to selling the house and you get a buyers solicitor get a local authority search that is when the **** hits the fan so to speak. The seller might have a problem selling as the buyer might not get a mortgage.

If there is a cavity but only an inch it can still be insulated. The people that sprays foam in roof voids can do it.

But in my experience most people wing it. I have had one on a terrace that said if they get caught the LA would have to prove it was rendered in the first place. Good point if you get caught after the scratch coat is on.

that is another option any one asks it was done before 2008, and there not that keen here rigsby arnt the council.

The customer is very particular ( ex copper) . In my opinion he will have to have the ewi installed to comply with the regs , due to the possible sale of his property in the future .
I will put the ball in his court

The customer is very particular ( ex copper) . In my opinion he will have to have the ewi installed to comply with the regs , due to the possible sale of his property in the future .
I will put the ball in his court

give the customer a quote for ewi it is his problem not yours.

Down here the regs cant make you fit the insulation bats onto the external walls if there is`nt enough soffit overhang at the eaves to but up to leaving enough vented soffit still showing.

If he hasn't hacked it off yet you might be ok because it's down to percentages, the same for inside but a different percentage. Do it in stages then you pass the 25% rule or 50%/75% what ever it is, it might have changed it always does.

Down here the regs cant make you fit the insulation bats onto the external walls if there is`nt enough soffit overhang at the eaves to but up to leaving enough vented soffit still showing.

Yes I have had that one. Some jobs the external insulated rendering cannot be done because of various problems. I have got away with 40mm insulation because moving soil pipes was so difficult. The officers here are not that bad. So long as you are making some effort they will pass it.

A recent job of mine I just hacked off and re-rendered 2 sides of a house when building regs came round.
The customer had the option of doing a payback calculation or as we were also doing a couple of rooms inside of the house, double up the insulation on the exterior walls of these rooms.
Bottom line seemed to be if they had their cash, they are happy.

I have spoke to the customer and he is wanting an inflated quote for the ewi system which would reflect that over 15 years it wouldn't bring recuperated . That should then alow him to get around the problem ( thanks Rigsby )

Would it even take an inflated price? Doing my own place has been an eye opener to the cost of the materials needed and I can't believe I'll get that money back over ten years.

Would it even take an inflated price? Doing my own place has been an eye opener to the cost of the materials needed and I can't believe I'll get that money back over ten years.

Also when quoting you are not to include scaffolding etc, only labour and materials are taken into consideration

Status
Not open for further replies.