Rendering over dpc on a new build cottage

Members online

Fiddler

CvSU86CWAAE8IJz.jpg

Evening all,

This is my first and probably last post, so go easy!

I'm building a pair of 2 bed cottage-style homes on the outskirts of a nice village and want to give the houses some character by adding a black rendered band around the base of the walls. Ideally, I would like the band to be about 400mm high, which means bridging the dpc... I have considered fixing some sort of waterproof tile board over the dpc, but I worried the walls won't be able to breath.

Any tips or advice would be much appreciated. If it's not possible, I'll use stone slips.

Thanks

Harry

Don’t bridge across the DPC with cladding or render. Whatever is below the DPC could and will get wet and may allow the water / moisture to wick up above the DPC - hence the comments above about breaking the render with movement or back to back beads at the DPC

Also, not all renders and or boards / insulations are suitable for use below the DPC level. The conditions will be wet and subject to freeze thaw during the winter.

If you are looking for a board to render to below the DPC, Knauf Aquapanel Outdoor can be used below DPC and above, I am happy to assist and advise suitable renders as well

Good Luck
Richard Lord
Knauf
Aquapanel Technical Manager
Rlord@knauf.co.uk
07918 766577

Thanks guys. What's the general opinion on back to back beads? I'm guessing you will see the join even if it's been filled with silicon and painted.

Thanks guys. What's the general opinion on back to back beads? I'm guessing you will see the join even if it's been filled with silicon and painted.
Expansion beads look the best you have about 35 ml of PVC to bridge DPC at the back of the bead but front face is minimal looks really tidy just a tight neatline

The rendering always bridges the dpc where there is a raised plinth. Even a plinth on face brickwork just crosses the dpc. Been done that way for hundreds of years.