Rendering outside wall

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

radroller

Hi, I am a keen diy person and have a fair bit of experience in plastering but i would just like to check out with the pros that this is the right procedure for rendering.
I have a old out building which has been removed except the back wall which i want to render, the area is 9 sq meters and is made of soft common bricks. I am thinking of wire brushing down the surface and wetting it before i render as is very dry and using a 4 to 1 mix with some water profer and then the second coat with a 5 - 1 -1 with lime , i have found this out by going through old posts on here , could someone let me know if this is ok .

May need to rake the joints out or grind some groves into the bricks to give the scratch something to hold onto

i thought is method was fine... without overcomplicating it.. then old commons are gonna suck like f'ck so wetting it down before scratching is fine and desirable...

sbr slurry yes ok, but does it really need it?

I'd have just put the hose over it for 9 square...

what i would do is weak pva over the bricks to seal it, then when dry a thick pva & render when tacky with 4 sand & 1 cement for both coats.
And before anyone says anything i did my neighbours garden wall like this 18 months ago & it's still there:RpS_tongue:

i thought is method was fine... without overcomplicating it.. then old commons are gonna suck like f'ck so wetting it down before scratching is fine and desirable...

sbr slurry yes ok, but does it really need it?

I'd have just put the hose over it for 9 square...

Well most cases with brick i slurry it as i dont know how the brick will behave later on ie the face blowin etc, it's just a personal preference.

what i would do is weak pva over the bricks to seal it, then when dry a thick pva & render when tacky with 4 sand & 1 cement for both coats.
And before anyone says anything i did my neighbours garden wall like this 18 months ago & it's still there:RpS_tongue:

Yes, in a fkin heap:RpS_crying:

Fcuking dick heads, please dont listen to what some people say on here sometimes wrong advice as Chriss said dust all the bricks down then give them a good drink let the water suck in a bit maybe 20 mins an wack your scratch on then carry on as you said

Fcuking dick heads, please dont listen to what some people say on here sometimes wrong advice as Chriss said dust all the bricks down then give them a good drink let the water suck in a bit maybe 20 mins an wack your scratch on then carry on as you said

Your a real ray of sun eh, there has been no wrong advice given as far as i can see maybe just different from yours which doesn't make it wrong nor bad

Why would you want to SBR a soft common briick which when treated properly with water you would get the perfect suction, what do you think we did before SBR, if you were pricing the job against me you would be a lot dearer than me because of the extra work you believe is needed and my job would be just as good if not better and the customer would be quids in, SBR is for substrates with little suction

Why would you want to SBR a soft common briick which when treated properly with water you would get the perfect suction, what do you think we did before SBR, if you were pricing the job against me you would be a lot dearer than me because of the extra work you believe is needed and my job would be just as good if not better and the customer would be quids in, SBR is for substrates with little suction

Like I said I always slurry exposed brick dependant on age and condition, up here lots of houses that are 30 plus years old the bricks used were hard fired and burnt inside therefore leaving the face flaky ànd giving it a tendancy to blow and fall off so its just a personal preference that's all

ive used sbr on very high suction before it was an old lime backing coat i think we did about 4 coats cos it just kept sucking the life out of it, came out lovley in the end setting time not to quick not to slow, enough time to have a fag between coats the crack on:RpS_thumbup:

Like I said I always slurry exposed brick dependant on age and condition, up here lots of houses that are 30 plus years old the bricks used were hard fired and burnt inside therefore leaving the face flaky ànd giving it a tendancy to blow and fall off so its just a personal preference that's all
Fair enough mate, where up there are you and what make, type of brick do you mean, not trying to make an argument just genuinley interested.

Sorry mate can't be specific with the brick its self ( possibly falkirk but all common of the time were made of clay /shale) although what i do know is the same brick was used extensively throughout the area and all are failing really badly especially after the hard winters we have had the last two years, some of the flats are hard hat areas for drop offs.

Ah right up North,not familiar with bricks up there sound Simllar to our LBC where they are just faced, givung yiu plenty of work then.

Ah right up North,not familiar with bricks up there sound Simllar to our LBC where they are just faced, givung yiu plenty of work then.

The local housing association does an approved contractors list where they give you a shout if needed, there was over 250m2 of emergency repairs and patching last year and prob more of the same this year, it's handy to fall back on when things are slack. Just been and priced a house as a matter of fact, private and built with said bricks hack and dubb, then over hit.

The external PVA is called superPVA by unibond, you probably have all seen it, its a white tub with red writing. Going back to the original post, no need for SBR on this occasion, why would you want to make a key when you already have the suction on the brick and you could rake the joints. Definately wouldnt PVA it. Depending on the suction by spashing a little water on it, If High I would hose down the day before is possible and then wet down again and then scratch it about 20 mins later. If suction still remains I would 5-1 it on the scratch.

If you really do have to go the SBR route, then its a 2 cement / 1 SBR mix and harl it or roll in onto the brick. Then you will need to wait to the next day to scratch it. Good thing about SBR is it is water tight, improves the adhesion etc. But as CHRIS said, dont think there is a need for it in this situation

Status
Not open for further replies.