Rendering onto facing brick

PlasterCraftDundee

I have a customer wanting some mono applied to a small garden around their patio area. The wall has been built using facing brick which is quite smooth, should I rake out brick joints and go straight over with pral m or do I have to rendaid first?

Smooth brick here we would either scud or rend aid. Not monod straight onto block on long time, usually scratch out. Mostly because building is usually poor, to many s**t brickys about here these days, so need to build it out for beading, kill some of the coat.

I have a customer wanting some mono applied to a small garden around their patio area. The wall has been built using facing brick which is quite smooth, should I rake out brick joints and go straight over with pral m or do I have to rendaid first?
I had one which Weber said you need to take the face offf the brick work so I got my lad on it with a small grinder then rendaid .

if it's engineering brick I'd key it with a grinder then bed mesh with a scrim adhesive personally. Seen a s**t load of renders fail on these type of smooth faced bricks not prepped properly they are big trouble.

Pre bagged glue for sticking mesh it's awful stuff to put on really gloopy and sticks to everything it comes in contact with. I usually use alumasc or enewall.

I think rendaid is very similar stuff.

Last edited:
Pre bagged glue for sticking mesh it's awful stuff to put on really gloopy and sticks to everything it comes in contact with. I usually use alumasc or enewall.

I think rendaid is very similar stuff.

Yeah that does sound like rendaid. I'd normally use enewall myself think their version is base adhesive coat? A new merchant has started stocking weber next to me and i'm getting it cheaper than enewall.

Have you used exposed aggregate to coat over existing dash? any tips i should know?

Aye exposed is good gear, some lads like to sbr or stabilise the existing dash - we just give it a really good hose down a couple of times then crack on. Give it a good mix then leave for 5 minutes and remix it - freeflo gives you more time with it too if it's a big area.

We use scotrend dash receiver over existing most of the time, lovely stuff and under 6 quid a bag.

Get one of the companies to send a rep out to spec the job for you, that's what I do. Even just send them a few photos and they do it off that. Means any comebacks you can fall back on them. I can give you stonepack reps number but can't remember who the enewall one is.

Stonepack rep is from up your way in tuechterland.
The enewall rep is from Dundee but he's a nightmare to get a hold of plus I get Weber cheaper. Yeah stonepack have a plant up in forfar but I've heard bad things about their render

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

What's your thoughts guys?
f5ad1d4a26d5df4d3fc2e7f6e3ea7355.jpg
1f7084938ad4b7970f61b350a2a839f5.jpg

Coping is a trouble. Paint has to come off. Use a god primer frOk the manufacturer or spatter coat for s&c.Dont render below the dpc. The paint on the coping says t all tbh. Explain it before you jump on, or t will bite you later.

them copings will need changing they look like natural stone which when it rains will stain the mono over time they need to be angled copings with a throat cut out of em then try an scrabble the paint off then Rendaid

Yeah new coping will be put on to overhang. Cheers for advice if I get it I'll post up some pics