Rendering onto EML using hydrated lime

alexeicharkham

Hi all
I'm new on here. I'm building a summer house in my garden (roughly 5x5m) and am looking to render it. I've covered the plywood walls in Tyvek and EML without battens (straight onto the Tyvek).
I've got two questions:

1) Should I use hydrated lime in the sand/cement mix?
2) If I do use it, do I just mix it as I would for cement?

Thanks very much.

I got a question for starters - a few actually
Galv or Stainless mesh?
Did you fit it the correct way round?
How much overlap did you do?

Hi all
I'm new on here. I'm building a summer house in my garden (roughly 5x5m) and am looking to render it. I've covered the plywood walls in Tyvek and EML without battens (straight onto the Tyvek).
I've got two questions:

Thanks very much.

your methods are 30 years out of date.

Agree with malc there are far better materials available now this country needs to move on

For f uck sake, ain’t any of you sh1t heads read what he’s doing??? He’s put a breather membrane onto the ply, hes then put eml directly onto the breather membrane then wants to put a breathable render like lime straight Onto it pmsl, let him carry on no doubt he’ll do it himself cus he obviously doesnt want to pay a professional to do it, then come summer he’ll be back on here under a different name comin up with some horses arse story that he’d paid a “Renderer” to do it for him and it’s all f**k*d and what’s the best course of action

For f uck sake, ain’t any of you sh1t heads read what he’s doing??? He’s put a breather membrane onto the ply, hes then put eml directly onto the breather membrane then wants to put a breathable render like lime straight Onto it pmsl, let him carry on no doubt he’ll do it himself cus he obviously doesnt want to pay a professional to do it, then come summer he’ll be back on here under a different name comin up with some horses arse story that he’d paid a “Renderer” to do it for him and it’s all f**k*d and what’s the best course of action
I honestly don't understand why people interact with these DIY'ers?

No he hasn't, he has asked about using hydrated lime in with the mix, no mention of a breathable render?

No he hasn't, he has asked about using hydrated lime in with the mix, no mention of a breathable render?
Here’s an idea then, wrap his “summer house” in your tape! cus let’s face it both will end up in exactly the same place not long after it’s been applied.

Here’s an idea then, wrap his “summer house” in your tape! cus let’s face it both will end up in exactly the same place not long after it’s been applied.
Maybe but it would be better to read what was said before trying to show how clever you are at the expense of someone else.
Share your knowledge without putting others down or keep your gob shut.

Maybe but it would be better to read what was said before trying to show how clever you are at the expense of someone else.
Share your knowledge without putting others down or keep your gob shut.
I’d read enough by the end of the second sentence, hence my attitude.
now my guess would be this from past experience, he’s no intention of paying a professional to do it whatsoever, yet he would quite happily get a professional out to look at it under the guise of them getting some work. Extract enough information out of them for free with a barrage of questions, let them send him a quote so everything is detailed from materials to application process so he can use it as a point of reference, ignore any communication from the guy who’s took time out of his life to visit him and then attempt it himself.
now if the op had had a couple of quotes but was unsure of the information he’d received and wanted clarification I would be more than happy to part with some of my 23 years of knowledge and experience to help him out as not to get stung by some blagging little c**t trying to make a fast buck out of him. But people who try to do things on the cheap, or do things them self without a professional without wanting to part with any money in my opinion shouldn’t expect any advice from said professional. I’m sure I’m not the only one on the site that has this view. Now be off with you tape hole driller and good day to you.

I’d read enough by the end of the second sentence, hence my attitude.
now my guess would be this from past experience, he’s no intention of paying a professional to do it whatsoever, yet he would quite happily get a professional out to look at it under the guise of them getting some work. Extract enough information out of them for free with a barrage of questions, let them send him a quote so everything is detailed from materials to application process so he can use it as a point of reference, ignore any communication from the guy who’s took time out of his life to visit him and then attempt it himself.
now if the op had had a couple of quotes but was unsure of the information he’d received and wanted clarification I would be more than happy to part with some of my 23 years of knowledge and experience to help him out as not to get stung by some blagging little c**t trying to make a fast buck out of him. But people who try to do things on the cheap, or do things them self without a professional without wanting to part with any money in my opinion shouldn’t expect any advice from said professional. I’m sure I’m not the only one on the site that has this view. Now be off with you tape hole driller and good day to you.
Pfft!!! Only 23years experience I'm 25 those extra 2 year make all the difference :popcorn:

I honestly don't understand why people interact with these DIY'ers?
If you are too insecure to part with your years of experience then do not respond to the thread. No need to think you stand above someone because you may be more able in one small thing.

Animated GIF

No need for you all to start bragging

I've done 35 years and know sweet fxck all so nah nah

Hi all
I've got two questions:

Thanks very much.
sounds like you need to watch casanova plasterer Kirk Giordano . He's got plenty of videos on 'stucco' on wood with mesh.
Hydrated Lime is mainly used to improve workability similar to plasticiser or fairy liquid. Some info on mixing your own here

Agree with malc there are far better materials available now this country needs to move on
Combination of a diyer eml n sand cement on the outside won’t end well unless done watertight
Ditch the eml at least n use rendering mesh

Combination of a diyer eml n sand cement on the outside won’t end well unless done watertight
Ditch the eml at least n use rendering mesh
I've had a look into rendering mesh and can't seem to find much info online about how to adhere it. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

I've had a look into rendering mesh and can't seem to find much info online about how to adhere it. Any advice would be very much appreciated.
That’s the stuff whether that’s a good price though