Rendering on Stonework

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueboyuk07

OK Guys,

I have been asked to quote to render over some stonework. The stonework is obviously not flat and I think it will end up 40mm thick in places.
Would it be a good idea to PVA or will it take OK on the stone.
What about costing pricing labour & mats ? anyone have any idea's as I reckon it could have to be done in 4 coats to get finished flat surface.

Thanks in Advance

Sean

Sean its imposible to give a price or a quote on this job coz the wall is so big that it cant be measured and if its stone it must be an old property so the materials need to be decided on before anything else, forget PVA for now.

Its not old property mate its like that Bradstone stonework which is clean. But like you said its hard to put a price to, Its around 200-250m2.

Take it your on about external render? Is it for decorative reasons or other? Are the other properties around it rendered? Is it new build? loads of questions i know but im a nosey parker :)

Yes External Render & The property is up for sale and a client has asked to quote to render over the stonework as they do not like it. I would say the property is 10yrs old if that. They just want rid of stonework. They want me to give rough estimate so they can adjust what offer they put in for the property. But I reckon stone protrudes from joints around 30- 40mm.

Unless you know them personally pull a price out of the sky and dont waste any of your time messing about, if you would normally charge £3000 for the job say £6000.

Yeah I think I'm gonna tell them to allow £8000 to be on the safe side then might call one of these K-Rend companies to do it if they can as I think its more hassle than its worth,
Cheers m8

Yes External Render & The property is up for sale and a client has asked to quote to render over the stonework as they do not like it. I would say the property is 10yrs old if that. They just want rid of stonework. They want me to give rough estimate so they can adjust what offer they put in for the property. But I reckon stone protrudes from joints around 30- 40mm.
Thats alot of scratching before you get a reveal on.

brad stone has no suction what so ever so unless you prime the walls prior to rendering it will drop off... not now... not next month... but it will fail eventually even at £8K thats only £32.00 per m2 or £8.00 per coat if 4 coats are needed... still a very cheap price also if its 40mm max thats still 4 x 10mm coats very very heavy...
so i would make sure that its not stone cladding first as this can be removed whithout any problems... if it has been built with blocks then walk away... and if the guy doesnt like the look of the house tell him to find a one he does like... as after all he is just using you to get the price down... To$$a

brad stone has no suction what so ever so unless you prime the walls prior to rendering it will drop off... not now... not next month... but it will fail eventually even at £8K thats only £32.00 per m2 or £8.00 per coat if 4 coats are needed... still a very cheap price also if its 40mm max thats still 4 x 10mm coats very very heavy...
so i would make sure that its not stone cladding first as this can be removed whithout any problems... if it has been built with blocks then walk away... and if the guy doesnt like the look of the house tell him to find a one he does like... as after all he is just using you to get the price down... To$$a

an old firm i used to work for if the rendering was over 15 -20 mm they used to make the client have metal lathing screwed all over the wall or they just simply wouldnt guarentee it its a lot of weight on stonework u could get comebacks unless u just tell the guy no guarantees bradstone shite to work over

Yep, follow some of the advice posted already. I priced something similar back in the summer,some of the property had been rendered over stone but the weight of it and lack of bond caused it to fail miserabley! cracked everywhere. They had rendered to the floor and it just looked saturated with water in places. A right mess. I told customer it would all have to come off and possibly primed, rendaid,external boards stuck, fully meshed then mono.(think some manufacturers dont back this system). Or an insulation system. Before i worked a price out properly i was chatting on the phone to her and mentioned something approaching £10000, the phone went dead and was not able to contact her over the next week or so. Guess it was out of her budget then..

I have u a material called dam putz, its basically poly balls mixed with something and i have sprayed this 80mm thick, then monocouched over it. I used it because it was 20mm here 40mm over there etc etc. its still up with no cracks. the stuff comes in 10kg bags that look like massive pillows

shouldnt it be lime render on stone work

lime render will stick like s**t to a blanket we use it internally on stone but u got to keep damping it down and u will get shrinkage cracks that thick it can be problamatic ...have used the poly ball material or some thing similar in the fatherland but u will still need to key bradstone might still be better x meshing it but not cheap monocouche u can put over most surfaces only to a certain thickness or u gotta scratch coats ....40mm in mono will be expensive at 14£ a bag or whatever it is aint used any for a while

Bradstone is modern reconstucted stone so pure lime morters dont come into it, it will be a cavity wall anyway, it has no suction as has been said so normaly i would say SBR slurry but 40mm might need something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.