Rendering on render board on a timberframe

stikznstones

Hi

I am new to this, we are building a timber frame house and wanted to put on a render board on the bottom with cladding above.

We have been told by someone that silicone render looks awful after a couple of years, but don't know if we can use sand and cement render on the boarding without it cracking and if it can still breath.

If anyone can help we would be grateful, it is all very confusing and as it's expensive we don't want to make the wrong choice.

Regards

Julie

if you use sand cement you would be making a huge costly mistake....
i recommend a render carrier board....
resistant
aquapanel
then a.thincoat silicone render
20190111_090336.jpg
20190111_090336.jpg

if you use sand cement you would be making a huge costly mistake....
i recommend a render carrier board....
resistant
aquapanel
then a.thincoat silicone render View attachment 31358View attachment 31358
Is silicone and acrylic render the same? Also is there any particular system you recommend that won't look grubby. Obviously like any render it needs to be cleaned now and again, the render we have looked at looks like rough swirls and not the smooth finish we would like.

Hi

I am new to this, we are building a timber frame house and wanted to put on a render board on the bottom with cladding above.

We have been told by someone that silicone render looks awful after a couple of years, but don't know if we can use sand and cement render on the boarding without it cracking and if it can still breath.

If anyone can help we would be grateful, it is all very confusing and as it's expensive we don't want to make the wrong choice.

Regards

Julie

Hello Julie

The above posts are correct, a boarded render system is perfect for cladding a timber frame, and a modern thin coat (silicone finish) is best when using a boarded render system.

A timber frame settles during the first couple of years, so a flexible lightweight render is far better than a brittle heavy sand and cement or scratch render...

Ref what these renders look like after a few years.... go look at some reference projects local to you. Find a few local render contractors and ask for a list of some projects they have done locally...

All renders need some maintenance (cleaning and checking) to keep them in good condition, and silicone thin coat renders are without doubt the easiest to clean

If you would like some assistance with the board detailing, I am the technical manager who looks after the Knauf Aquapanel Exterior render carrier board. Happy to assist and review projects of any size

Good luck

Richard Lord
Knauf
rlord@knauf.co.uk

Last edited: