rendering on quinn lite block(help

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

boo

hi guys, just on a job and the bulider has used quinn lite block outside his say there fine to render on but i know different, i need a solution do i render aid it/ sbr slurry/ or buliding paper and eml any ideas

hi mate, was just going to sbr slurry two coat hoping first slurry will slow down suction lay up on second coat of sbr slurry when tacky, first mix 4/1 sec mix 4 sand 3/4, cenemt 1/4 lime

Soak the blocks with a hosepipe first loads of water then slurry

Be careful with soaking blocks. The water runs down and then bleeds out at the horizontal mortar joint. Damn nuisance when the render sucks in and the joints every 225mm apart turns to water.

I wouls sbr slurry it and use a 5:1 scratch. Maybe consider mesh in the scratch but costs a bit. You should always let the customer know rendering on lightweight blocks is a no-no.

I think the biggest problem with rendering onto lightweight blocks is actually that the brickies know fuckall about different mixes for different materials and they cause the blockwork to crack making it look like the render is at fault.
I've rendered several houses where the blockwork was laid with "weak" muck and the render is still as good twenty years down the line as when first done.

Thermalite used to specify a weak morter mix years ago not sure if they do now just leave it to the architect

Status
Not open for further replies.