Rendering job!

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys got my 1st biggish rendering job, so far i have done a garden wall & that's about it really.:RpS_biggrin:
This is a small extension only about 9-10 squared metres and it's new blocks.
Can i push the beads into scratch coat or do they need putting on 1st?
How long shall i leave it before topcoat?
And when i do the topcoat how long do i leave it before i rub it up with plastic float????
And i read some people use a car sponge to finish, is this true?
And if it is is it straight after rubbing up?? or left a bit??

I'm actually pooing my pants:RpS_scared:
lolz.:RpS_laugh:

Thanks.

Go to the toilet then..........as for the rendering, it all depends on the suction for how long to leave it. Only experience - and your fingers - will tell you when it's right:RpS_thumbup:

i always just form the arriss with a edge then place beads over the scratch coat when scratch has fully cured normally around 4-5 days the bell beads put on first i use electricians cable clips for this they have nails in em that penertrate most stuff as for top coat what bubbles says i dont use a sponge either just a float finish

Dab your beads on, it can be done same day/time as scratch, time to leave it before top is debateable on here so its your call and time to float is touch and see and i personally dont see the need for a sponge.

How are you managing to get this work if you have never done it before?

Dab your beads on, it can be done same day/time as scratch, time to leave it before top is debateable on here so its your call and time to float is touch and see and i personally dont see the need for a sponge.

How are you managing to get this work if you have never done it before?

I did the inside of the extension last month, they boarded it & i skimmed it,
then he asked me if i can render & i just panicked & said yes lol.
And he asked for a quote, so i just thought a week plus mats, it's 2 small walls & window reveals etc.
My neighbours garden wall i did was spot on! so this should go ok fingers crossed.

So do i rub up when it's wet or nearly dry?? i can't remember how i did it last time now
as it was about 18 months ago.

I did the inside of the extension last month, they boarded it & i skimmed it,
then he asked me if i can render & i just panicked & said yes lol.
And he asked for a quote, so i just thought a week plus mats, it's 2 small walls & window reveals etc.
My neighbours garden wall i did was spot on! so this should go ok fingers crossed.

So do i rub up when it's wet or nearly dry?? i can't remember how i did it last time now
as it was about 18 months ago.

Good for you, somewhere in between if it's to wet you will know and if its too dry it just go's to powder, touch and see you will know!

You could pva the scratch coat to give yourself more time although 9m square isn't massive and is do able over 2 days (scratch and float )

Put a good pint of waterproofer per builders bucket of water with you're scratch coat mixes then a day after give it a good coat of neat sbr then just before you top it give it another coat of neat sbr and go over it when it's tacky as soon as you've got it on wet the wall down and float it with a wooden float ...... Just put you're beads up when you're top coating mate

Come on Dunc put your hands up who are you this is a wind up no one could be asking these kind of questions and actualy be working

Hi dirtybill, I am not an expert in this so I read that post on pva outside. It seems everyone has different opinions. I've done as has craigw and dunc etc so the jury is out on this one (im not implying Im correct )

nope,im a giver,fook the recieving.

like ive said in a previous thread,ive used PVA in many aspects of plastering/rendering, in the 80's its was a kind of a phenomenon,never ever had a problem,

i have plastered/rendered hundreds and hundreds of properties with no problem(like a lot of spreads on here),no plaster or render cracking/falling off.

to me if your render falls off or cracks it is all down to mixing,ive seen people just measure it with shovels,its just not cricket love,buckets all the time and make sure the thick fooker can count who is mixing it as well ;)

How many shovels do you to the bucket?

sorry mate,you mix is measured by bucket,you can not get the amount right by shovel,its a builders way not a plasterers.
its basic plastering knowledge,you get taught to measure with a shovel you are being taught wrong,no 2 ways about it:RpS_thumbup:

sorry mate,you mix is measured by bucket,you can not get the amount right by shovel,its a builders way not a plasterers.
its basic plastering knowledge,you get taught to measure with a shovel you are being taught wrong,no 2 ways about it:RpS_thumbup:

Sorry but i cant make head nor tail of that

What happens if you only need 1 bucket of stuff?

And why would you need to use buckets to measure anything in plastering?

Last edited:
Sorry but i cant make head nor tail of that

What happens if you only need 1 bucket of stuff?

And why would you need to use buckets to measure anything in plastering?

bill,its a rendering thread,hence rendering title.
you measure your mix with buckets,for strength and colour,if your top coat is measured with shovels,every mix is not going to be the same,guaranteed my mate

I agree using a shovel is far to inconsistent, i like to hear other peoples views and methods on gauging and mixing i was just thrown by your reference to plastering, sorry!

Nothing wrong using a shovel for gauging muck into a mixer, just need someone with a bit of experiance, weve been doing it for 38 years now i think maybe more, always consistant gear, funnily enough whent to work today and give up by 1pm and whent to the Spoons and had a good drink with 5 pals who i have worked with for years since we were kids and still work together now and again if you asked any of them to knock a gauge up they would do it and it would be spot on,also pulled a tidy little bird today as well

Nothing wrong using a shovel for gauging muck into a mixer, just need someone with a bit of experiance, weve been doing it for 38 years now i think maybe more, always consistant gear, funnily enough whent to work today and give up by 1pm and whent to the Spoons and had a good drink with 5 pals who i have worked with for years since we were kids and still work together now and again if you asked any of them to knock a gauge up they would do it and it would be spot on,also pulled a tidy little bird today as well
gonna disagree with ya there lucius, i would never teach my lads to 'gauge' with a shovel,and no teacher at collage would do it,when i served my time my boss who was nearly 60back then,said the same,my teacher a collage who was the same age,said the same,brickies gauge with shovels,plasterers with buckets:RpS_thumbup:

i don't know a plasterer who gauges with shovels up around my way,are you from the south,they are weird down there:RpS_drool:

I batch by the shovel for roughcasting and by bucket for smooth render and always for a scratch, do you use buckets for scratch?

I measure all my sand/cement mixes by bucket - and I have a load of little measuring jugs for when I only want a small batch:RpS_thumbup:

13506-Measuring_Spoons_Open.jpg

**** of you bunch of ***** you aint got a clue, and Craig you cant even spell college, absolute bunch of mugs

Status
Not open for further replies.