rendering - damp job....

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bigsegs

ok...bigsegs musings for friday night....
kicking off a rendering job on monday..this place HAS been damped/tanked to 6"
old house, 13" solid, i would say very old due to the condition of the brickwork, lime mortar very dusty, needs a good brush/wetting...
3m ceilings...
im proposing 6;1;1 waterproofer in 1st AND second (im gonna scratch it 1st, hit it float 2nd day and skim 3rd day)
apparently im not supposed to put waterproofer in the float coat...
i dont want my multi goin off too quick, big walls....
ive always put waterproofer in the float coat...
ive been supplied jewsons waterproofer and cementone plasticiser seperately...
im scratchin cos im gonna have to soak these walls first cos they are dry as a bone...
this is the job with the silly arch btw...ill post photos next week...
your views?

its not that...i gonna put waterproofer in the first scratch..end of...you have to, its a solid wall..what the chemical companies recommend is waterproofer in the scratch, none but plasticiser in the float....
ive always put it in the float, in fact most times on jobs like this cos it goes off like lightning ive got it in one thick coat...
dodgy...maybe...
but this is a full refurb...
my spec, on my head...theyve ordered my materials list...

sorry, posted same time. i'd do it this way... 6:1 + plas scratch coat, 5:1 + plas+waterproofer float. the reason for this is i've aways found waterproofer in scratch means water in float coat runs down wall rather than soaking in uniformly, was told to do it like this by a time served spread, took his advice and it works for me.

now thats opposite to manufacturers recomendations... what i dont quite get is why?
no waterproofer = running round like an idiot to get a finish on the 'finish'..
normally, one coat of render, waterproofer included, skim it day after = no problems...done it for yonks, but these are big rooms..
my experience of no waterproofer = crap finish on skim?
technically id tend to agree with you pug, soak the walls, throw the scratch on without waterproofer only plasticiser, then float with waterproofer...easy skim, no penetration...
doesnt work like that though..far as im aware you gotta hold the penetration back behind the render, so watproof in scratch...just why not in float? helps the finish?

6;1;1 is the recommended BUT wasnt too long ago that the chemical companies were recommending 3:1 no lime 1/2 litre waterproofer per 25kg cement!! went off like glass!
ive been on the triton site recently and i noticed theyve changed their spec on this....

hmmm.... follow manufacturers regs and then pva float coat to buy you a bit of time?

pva float coat??
dont get it?
i just wanna do what i normally do and put waterproofer right through it then i aint gettin any probs, but if i have to skim on render that aint got it i gotta work my arse off...
ive had to pva rendered wall before and after 3 coats of pva ive had to chase it....waterpro and i get my 'should have an award' finish..
my view is... i should be able to lay finish on render at the same rate as i lay finish on board or theres something im not getting...

sorry fella i'm pissed. what the eye don't see.... do what you'd normally do but don't let em see ya!

Hey seggs even without the waterproofer in on the 3rd day, as you only floated day before it should still be quite green so shouldnt be a prob skiming only probs you should encounter is cracking as it hasnt cured enough to skim.

Status
Not open for further replies.