Rendering below dpc

G.Tate

Hi, I am doing a job in krend and the customer wants to render below the dpc as the bricks are abit shot and will be a nicer finish. I don’t see any logical way to do this without breaching the dpc and causing problems. What are your thought on this?
I was thinking of an SBR slurry and the sand and cement mixed with as much SBR as possible to make it super waterproof, will this work or just cause problems down the line? What do they use when doing swimming pools or that sort of thing??

Hi, I am doing a job in krend and the customer wants to render below the dpc as the bricks are abit shot and will be a nicer finish. I don’t see any logical way to do this without breaching the dpc and causing problems. What are your thought on this?
I was thinking of an SBR slurry and the sand and cement mixed with as much SBR as possible to make it super waterproof, will this work or just cause problems down the line? What do they use when doing swimming pools or that sort of thing??

If you fit a bell bead to the dpc then thats a good stop for the k rend. The spec for below the dpc sounds ok but you might still get some staining. Pools are usually tiled. I did come across some waterproof render that wasn’t breathable made for wet walls at Pagets builders merchants in Sheffield but it was years ago, I don’t know if they still stock it.

The usual way as said above, is to fit a bellcast beading at the dpc line to prevent bridging issues.

If you fit a bell bead to the dpc then thats a good stop for the k rend. The spec for below the dpc sounds ok but you might still get some staining. Pools are usually tiled. I did come across some waterproof render that wasn’t breathable made for wet walls at Pagets builders merchants in Sheffield but it was years ago, I don’t know if they still stock it.
Thanks for your reply, how would that finish, do you mean turn the bell bead upside down, and put it under the stop bead that’s on now. The picture shows what I’m dealing with, the dpc is where the cables are nailed in, just under the bead. Thanks mate

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 2,556
Do you mean to fit bell bead just under dpc, and create a gap between the two beads, just might look abit crap that maybe, I dunno!?

i would use an expansion bead over the DPC not a big fan of bellcast beads they just collect s**t

It looks shite if you don't render under bellcast. If bricks or blocks are spoiled wot u gonna do. And why do some use stop beads instead of bellcast.

Guy I know puts a ten mm stop upside down underneath the 15mm bell with gap , that’s a good shout saves cutting the gear and make life easier on your knees

Bellcast beading is specifically designed for use at the dpc line, the bell effect slows down surface rain and because of the way it’s angled help prevent water from running down / dripping clear of the base.

Beadtape is specifically designed for fixing beads,the holes allow plaster to stick to subsurface and tape adhesive is formulated to stick to plaster,brick and block.
(some prefer to nail into mortar joints using roofing nails)

Bellcast beading is specifically designed for use at the dpc line, the bell effect slows down surface rain and because of the way it’s angled help prevent water from running down / dripping clear of the base.
So what does it matter about water dripping below the dpc?

So what does it matter about water dripping belo
Window heads keeps weather off glass frame and cill,

A bell cast will hold water in modern renders so better with stop beads

A bell cast will hold water in modern renders so better with stop beads
I get what you’re saying about modern renders. I was thinking more about traditional painted wet dash situation as is the norm in this part of the country. ( north west highlands).

I get what you’re saying about modern renders. I was thinking more about traditional painted wet dash situation as is the norm in this part of the country. ( north west highlands).
Yeah I get what your saying I was just going on the k rend from the post mate

That’s incorrect mate ! Bell cast offers nothing with modern render unless it’s treated with a silocan sealer
I know that's the point I'm getting at? Bellcast just catch all the shite and get water stained

Anything that will help in preventing moisture entering into the sub-structure is got to be good, frost damage ,spalling ,discolouration algae mould growth etc.
But a Bellcast will just increase discolouration and algae growth

Isn't a bellcast bead designed to to throw rain water off the surface below it . Sometimes halfway down the house ect