Rendering base of fountain

McBentLegs

I've been asked by a mate of mine if I fancy rendering the base of this fountain.. it's for his Dad and the guy he normally uses isn't available so mates come to me.

I can render, do the occasional small job but leave it at that normally as work alone (by no means a rendering expert).

I've never had to do anything like this so any advice would be appreciated, I'll steer clear of it if need be.

All I've been told is the base needs to be rendered and has to be meshed and waterproof, that is all, being submerged 100% of the time I'm unsure how you would go about it.

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG-20200421-WA0009.jpg
    IMG-20200421-WA0009.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 188
Haha yeh could be the case! I'm happy to walk away if it's too much hassle but thought I'd put it passed the experts on here first!

No offence but maybe an expert should do the job too mate

No offense taken mate no worries, I agree to an extent but we all come across things we haven't done before, it'd be completely different if I couldn't render of course.

I don't see why they want it meshed myself, seems pointless over a solid concrete base.

Should have troweled the concrete smooth and just painted it!

Just top up the water every now n then and jobs a goodun :descansando:

I've been asked by a mate of mine if I fancy rendering the base of this fountain.. it's for his Dad and the guy he normally uses isn't available so mates come to me.

I can render, do the occasional small job but leave it at that normally as work alone (by no means a rendering expert).

I've never had to do anything like this so any advice would be appreciated, I'll steer clear of it if need be.

All I've been told is the base needs to be rendered and has to be meshed and waterproof, that is all, being submerged 100% of the time I'm unsure how you would go about it.

Cheers
if its an ongoing problem with render get a price off someone to fibre glass it there is a nice lip at the top to finish to

I've just been looking back through posts regarding swimming pools and it seems an SBR slurry followed by scratch and top coat with added SBR is more than sufficient.. That was my original thought but wasn't sure if it was correct.

I agree on the method of self leveling it some how, that would be the easiest way.

I've just been looking back through posts regarding swimming pools and it seems an SBR slurry followed by scratch and top coat with added SBR is more than sufficient.. That was my original thought but wasn't sure if it was correct.

I agree on the method of self leveling it some how, that would be the easiest way.
Weber OCR grade 3 with sika additive mate,

When you've done it do you want to come and give me a hand IMG_20200421_090915.jpg IMG_20200421_090912.jpg this with this

Attachments

• IMG_20200421_090827.jpg
    IMG_20200421_090827.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 161
  • IMG_20200421_090824.jpg
    IMG_20200421_090824.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 168
So I take it you mean a screed and not render the inside of that stone work ?

Not the stone work no, at first I thought he meant the internals (base and sides) but he's asked for just the base.. I'm only going by what the other plasterer has told him he was going to do, I've not been over to speak to him directly yet.

Pagets Builders Merchants in Sheffield (Broadfield Rd) did hav a Spanish tanking render in for such a job, it was vapour and waterproof.
iIt was about 10 years ago so I don’t know if they still sell it.