Rendering advice needed

Ivor biggun

Hi,

I’m new to the forum and looking for advice on a new build I’m about to start. I’m a self builder and planning on building the house using timber frame covered in OSB board, membrane, batten and then a rendered finish. I’ve rendered to block work before but wondered if there is a quicker and cheaper method without hiring brickies. My very limited knowledge in these matters has discovered there are various ways of applying the render. There are cement boards such as knauf aquapanels, some sort of metal mesh riblath or a product called Stucanet. I’m just wondering if there are any people out there that have used these products and their opinion on them or if there is another method I’ve missed. Does anyone has any suggestions on the best way forward?

Many thanks!

If it is timber frame then a cement particle board and thin coat system. Usually the architect will create a spec so if you are diy then I suggest you get a render manufacture like Weber or Parex to send a technical rep out who will give you a spec. I had Shaun Moss who at the time was a rep for Weber but now a top man at Johnstones and he drew up a spec for a customer involving osb, slate lath, air flow gaps, cement board so get the rep out rather than an opinion of a renderer.

As I remember an air flow is required to stop condensation between the cpb and osb board but it was 12 years ago and I didn’t get the job.

I have a single somewhere in the loft by Ivor Biggun an his red nosed burglars! lol

If it is timber frame then a cement particle board and thin coat system. Usually the architect will create a spec so if you are diy then I suggest you get a render manufacture like Weber or Parex to send a technical rep out who will give you a spec. I had Shaun Moss who at the time was a rep for Weber but now a top man at Johnstones and he drew up a spec for a customer involving osb, slate lath, air flow gaps, cement board so get the rep out rather than an opinion of a renderer.

As I remember an air flow is required to stop condensation between the cpb and osb board but it was 12 years ago and I didn’t get the job.

I have a single somewhere in the loft by Ivor Biggun an his red nosed burglars! lol
Many thanks for the advice