Rendering a plinth

Members online

brycheiniog

Hi All,

I am looking for some advice about rendering a plinth around our house. Currently there is an elevated patio/walkway that runs all the way around the house which hides around 3 courses of blockwork. This is then topped with 5 courses of bricks before the damp proof course. This is all being removed as the patio retaining wall has failed in multiple places and the whole lot is busy sinking into the fenland bog it is built on (House is fine. It sits on lots of lovely piles..).

large.jpg

Once we remove the patio we will need to do something to cover up the exposed blockwork , and I was considering rendering a plinth over it but finishing well below the DPC. There are lots of horror stories online related to rendered plinths failing due to damp in the wall behind. Would a lime render work, or are there other solutions I should be looking at?

Thanks in advance for any advice..

Jonathan

Hi All,

I am looking for some advice about rendering a plinth around our house. Currently there is an elevated patio/walkway that runs all the way around the house which hides around 3 courses of blockwork. This is then topped with 5 courses of bricks before the damp proof course. This is all being removed as the patio retaining wall has failed in multiple places and the whole lot is busy sinking into the fenland bog it is built on (House is fine. It sits on lots of lovely piles..).

large.jpg

Once we remove the patio we will need to do something to cover up the exposed blockwork , and I was considering rendering a plinth over it but finishing well below the DPC. There are lots of horror stories online related to rendered plinths failing due to damp in the wall behind. Would a lime render work, or are there other solutions I should be looking at?

Thanks in advance for any advice..

Jonathan

Black Jack it.

Just a suggestion, but more labour and material intensive.
Build a plinth from brick tied in to the wall behind and then have a bevelled brick on the top course in to the brick below dpc.

We have been thinking about that as an alternative option, the other possibility I should have mentioned is a similar idea and covering it all with brick slips to form a shallow plinth. My wife is keen on render though so I thought I had better investigate before looking at the alternatives.

Why are you assuming that the wall will be damp?
I've not done loads and loads of plinths, but I've not had one fail yet. I have got one to do on our current job.