Rendering a fireplace

Fergal-W

I haven’t done a lot of plastering so would really appreciate some advice on this if possible.

I want to render a stone fireplace that will eventually be tiled. The face of it is stone but the interior is mainly concrete block (bricks at the back), that I have chipped away to widen a little so that I can fit the wood burner in comfortably.

I’ve been advised to use a mix of 4 parts sand (sharp or builders?):1 lime:1 cement and not use any PVA on the surface prior to rendering.

Any thoughts on whether this is on the money
20200812_165136.jpg
or any other suggestions would be very welcome.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 20200812_165208.jpg
    20200812_165208.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 214
I haven’t done a lot of plastering so would really appreciate some advice on this if possible.

I want to render a stone fireplace that will eventually be tiled. The face of it is stone but the interior is mainly concrete block (bricks at the back), that I have chipped away to widen a little so that I can fit the wood burner in comfortably.

I’ve been advised to use a mix of 4 parts sand (sharp or builders?):1 lime:1 cement and not use any PVA on the surface prior to rendering.

Any thoughts on whether this is on the moneyView attachment 52494 or any other suggestions would be very welcome.

Thanks.
Use plastering sand it’s much nicer. Welcome along

Options:
1) Render it if you want to have a go?
2) Cement board it (grip fill and fixings) tile onto cement board?
3) tile straight onto it?

Guess your only tiling the face though?
Use the powdered tile adhesive you mix your self though - stronger stuff imo
Cement board sucks it in like (rude analogies) so position em quick

Options:
1) Render it if you want to have a go?
2) Cement board it (grip fill and fixings) tile onto cement board?
3) tile straight onto it?

Guess your only tiling the face though?
Use the powdered tile adhesive you mix your self though - stronger stuff imo
Cement board sucks it in like (rude analogies) so position em quick

I dabbed some cement board last Christmas on a job and when I was gluing it, I heard it pop of some of the dab, first time dabbing it.

Some of the stone juts out a fair bit, so using cement board would mean there would be quite large gaps behind it. I'll be tiling the whole thing eventually but the inside bit is also pretty rough as I have had to widen the whole thing to get the stove in.
I think I'll give the render a go. Did a couple of fireplaces many years ago, although a bit different, and I'm up for the challenge now!
Thanks for the heads up on the powdered tile adhesive - appreciated.