Render without lime

Members online

cooptaza

Any of you guys render without lime in the mix. We never use it in Ireland. Doing my own house now. So might do it right this time. But never had a problem without it

Any of you guys render without lime in the mix. We never use it in Ireland. Doing my own house now. So might do it right this time. But never had a problem without it

We have better sand here then in the UK. We don't need it really here. If u want to use it just f**k in a shovel full to each mix. If it's a small mixer half it

Never heard tell of it til seen it in this forum lol. Once we had to use a lime sand thing, it came with the lime in it, and white cement. Was awful, never want to see stuff like it again.

Never used lime. Always use scratch coat 4:1 and top coat 5:1. Never had many major issues but guys in here seem to use 6:1:1. Sand:cement:lime. They seem to know what they are doing. But I wonder what they would use on their own house if doing it right

Never used lime. Always use scratch coat 4:1 and top coat 5:1. Never had many major issues but guys in here seem to use 6:1:1. Sand:cement:lime. They seem to know what they are doing. But I wonder what they would use on their own house if doing it right
Same as 4/1 scratch 5/1 top no lime. Done that for over 35 yrs never any problems. Sometimes now I mesh the scratch coat if i think it needs it.

When Adam was a lad I was told that s&c mixes in Ireland, Scotland and the west side of uk were always stronger because they get hardest hit by the southwesterly wind and rain. A 5:1 scratch and 6:1:1 top coat is more than sufficient for majority of eastern UK applications and i very rarely use anything stronger depending on how exposed an elevation may be to prevailing driving rain.

What type of finish are you going for?
A few shovels of lime with less waterproofer make it easier if doing a nap finish

Never heard tell of it til seen it in this forum lol. Once we had to use a lime sand thing, it came with the lime in it, and white cement. Was awful, never want to see stuff like it again.

You need to know your hydrated lime from hydraulic lime.
The hydrated makes a good plasticiser & gives the mix some body when pebble dashing, or when the sand is shite.
Now hydraulic contains clay, and will set off sand on it's own. The higher the NHL rating, the harder it sets.
I have rendered old places with 3 to 1 sand and NHL5 hydraulic lime and it's rock hard.
Did some interior lime work at a manor house last week and used NHL3.5 ... should have used 1 or 2 really, but had a couple of bags knocking around.

BTW ... called hydraulic lime because it sets underwater as it reacts with carbon dioxide, and so is used a lot offshore.

Anyhow, that's enough giving from me for one night. :numberone: