Render serring very quick

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

cooptaza

A friend of mine phoned me yesterday for advice, said he was mixing sand and cement for internal render. 4:1 I think.
He said after about 30 min the mortar was going off.

He said he could feel it tightening of after 10 minutes and after 30 minutes it was getting very hard ot apply it to the wall it was that tight.

Only thing i could think of was he was using frostproofer in the mix instead of mortar mix, but he said it was def mortar mix.

Anyone heard of this before

if hes mixing it as he says then i have never heard of this happening in over 30 years of plastering

A friend of mine phoned me yesterday for advice, said he was mixing sand and cement for internal render. 4:1 I think.
He said after about 30 min the mortar was going off.

He said he could feel it tightening of after 10 minutes and after 30 minutes it was getting very hard ot apply it to the wall it was that tight.

Only thing i could think of was he was using frostproofer in the mix instead of mortar mix, but he said it was def mortar mix.

Anyone heard of this before

At 4:1 I would expect it to tightening up a bit after thirty minutes this time of year. Not as in actually setting right off but definitely enough to be not so nice to put on and needing a quick remix. Even a 6:1 mix left standing for half an hour will usually need a quick remix.
My questions would be how much is he mixing at a time that he can't use it within fifteen minutes and what is he working over that warrants a 4:1 mix internally?

Last edited:
I use tonnes of gear mixed at 3:1 for DPC work. I don't find it stiffing up that quick maybe it's the sand???

Did he prep the masonry? pva or sbr to reduce suction?
Did he incorporate hydrated lime into his mix?
I doubt it..........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

He said is was setting alot quicker than normal in the wheelbarrow. I give him some mortar mix I had. He said it done the job. he said the stuff he had was well out of date. Never heard of that happening before, he said he was sure it was not frostproofer but sorted now cheers all

Status
Not open for further replies.