Render over existing painted surface. Help!

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brizz

Hello everybods, first posting on here....please be gentle with me.

I'm doing a refurb of a large former guest house just outside Torquay for a really nice family who have a disabled daughter. The work is being overseen by surveyors who have to report back to solicitors as all the work is paid for by court settlement. Very confusing.

The up-shot is, the surveyor has spec'd to break off all existing painted render and recoat in 1:1:6 sand/cement mix. The problem is the existing is so well bonded to the 1930's/70's blockwork that to jack off (so to speak) the existing is knocking the building to pieces. Around windows, doors and at soffit level it's going to cause havoc. We have only tested some small areas where new windows are being installed, but if that was anything to go by....

So, my question: What to do?
1. EML over the painted surface and 1:1:6? What's the best procedure?
2. Alsecco? They will guarantee overlaying a painted substrate if their spec is followed. Trouble is the price!!! How much do you guys reckon for 240m2?
3. EML as 1, but using K Rend finish? I can't find any evidence of it being a good idea to use K Rend with SS EML. You may be able to tell me different.
4. Soda blast the painted surface clean and then 1:1:6?

The basis to the whole project is that the solicitors require a top bollock job in the belief that money spent now will result in less spent in the future upkeep of the building

Thanks for reading and hope you can help.

Brizz

Slow and painfully strip it all off a no its a hard job but best way if they want a top not h job ................ Cud u not use a less powerful hammer drill on the places u said ? A no it will take a bit more graft but if theres a will theres a way

My 2 kg makita battery 18v does me great after ive been over with me big hammer drill getting all the shitty bits off and sum awkward places , id recommend the wire version though plenty ummphh but not going to take a house down either

brizz, ive been doing a job similar up in north devon.we used a product called parex parinter which will stick no worries at all.have a look at parex website for more info.it saves loads of time due to not having to take the existing render off.a thin coat system of a k-rend(scratch render) type product can then follow.the less amount of material to follow the parinter the better due to the weight.
give me a shout if you guys need a hand as I will travel down your neck of the woods no worries

welcome along Brizz, I have re-rendered alot of buildings in Torquay, I think if the client wants quality then they have to expect to pay for it. I know the damage that can be caused by hacking off but it might be necessary. Had a similar problem with a hotel on Babbacome road, they wanted a price to hack off a the render. I gave them a price which was similar to other quotes they received (About 12 grand if memory serves me right) this was way out of their budget so we stuck 2 labourers outside whilst we scimmed the internals. the used needle guns and lath hammers and chipped all the loose paint off, sbr slurried and tyrolean the whole building. looked good as new and less than a third of the price.

Brizz, it might be an idea to get someone in who has worked with these products, Bobby has down some work in Torquay for a client of mine. Knows his stuff and does a top rate job. food for thought , mate

would EWI not be a good option, they could get funding

Last edited:
A good point from Arti there , dont know much about it myself, sure someone on here does.

Wow, thanks to all; that was more than I expected!

I've got a meeting with the head surveyor tomorrow to thrash out what we're going to do, once and for all. I've looked at surface planers, grinder attachments, chemicals, slurries, you name I've considered it. Actually got a soda blasting guy coming around tomorrow pm to have a look.

Anybody passing by the Hare and Hounds on the Newton Road will be most welcome. Not in the Hare and Hounds, but two doors down when going to Newton Abbot! Though that could be an option eh?

I know the job Brizz, drove past it about 3 hours ago. i have a contact in the area that does blasting if thats what your thinking. Keep us updated , best of luck

This was rendered this over an existing wall with Rendaid as a bonding agent, that was about 6 years ago. Still no cracks........yet

Arti, thanks for the EWI suggestion, but a lot of the building is flat roof and the soffits a quite narrow.

i'll let you know what the upshot is tomorrow.

cheers all.

What about the twil lath? A thick paper board with stainless wire attached. Never used it as yet but it is mechanically fixed then render over.

Or Riblath fixed with a Hilti GX120. An even more top notch job is to wash the paint to clean and use plasprimeX with a bark roller finish then Riblath or expanded metal. Riblath is the better but if expanded metal the bark roller will create high spots so the render onto the mesh goes onto, into and under the mesh with the benefit of also sticking to the Plasprime.

EWI and weber m1 scrape finish if you are looking for a monocouche finish. I would not take the risk of rendering over paint. or risk the damage to the property with hacking off.

EWI and weber m1 scrape finish if you are looking for a monocouche finish. I would not take the risk of rendering over paint. or risk the damage to the property with hacking off.
is that the weber therm ?one coat over insulation

Parex parinter and monorex. Regardless of manufacturer at least get one involved to specify it and the go forward from that .

I'm using The Plasterers Forum Mobile App

I agree, get one of the manufactures to spec it up I also agree the Parex system as discussed earlier would do the job. Give them a call www.parex.co.uk

I'm using The Plasterers Forum Mobile App

Wow, thanks to all; that was more than I expected!

I've got a meeting with the head surveyor tomorrow to thrash out what we're going to do, once and for all. I've looked at surface planers, grinder attachments, chemicals, slurries, you name I've considered it. Actually got a soda blasting guy coming around tomorrow pm to have a look.

Anybody passing by the Hare and Hounds on the Newton Road will be most welcome. Not in the Hare and Hounds, but two doors down when going to Newton Abbot! Though that could be an option eh?
update please brizz,,, whats it going to be

problem with going over a painted surface is ( unless you EML ) that your finish and the weight of it is held to the substrate by the paint... I would mesh it out ...

Did one using EML drilled, plugged with screws and penny washers (customer wanted cheapest option). Drove past yesterday and noticed a couple of tiny hairline cracks, nothing major. And it was done nearly a month ago :RpS_biggrin:

Did one using EML drilled, plugged with screws and penny washers (customer wanted cheapest option). Drove past yesterday and noticed a couple of tiny hairline cracks, nothing major. And it was done nearly a month ago :RpS_biggrin:

We did one a while ago but instead of screws and washers we used those plastic mushroom type fixings. I did a pull test on them and they're sound and quicker than screws and washers.

No matter what they think their new modern render will do it ant ever going to stop a old building moving

Status
Not open for further replies.