Render on a garden wall

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuart

I have a wall to render for a customer next week.
It has the scratch coat on maybe 3 weeks ago by someone else should I just soak the wall or do I need to pva it first.
I was thinking Soak
4 sharp sand 1 cement and plasticiser.

Thanks
Stuart

depends if theyve used waterproofer in the scratch mix mate.. if they have just go straight on it, dont bother wetting it up or anything or youll be there all day waiting to float it..
if not, yeh soak it and have it..

try a small patch with a bit of water mate..listen and see if you can hear it fizzing or watch it and see if it dries in quick ..it can work to youre advantage if its small sections

good point chances are the scratch coat is 4-1........if you do do a 4-1 mix add a couple of shovels of lime per mix

iv done no rendering befor but im gettin into it and am doing a job this week small wall.what mix ratio should i use? i was ganna just use tp plastering sand and when you say lime wots that? i fort it was scratch coat with waterproof and top coat with feb. ?

Normally 3:1 or 4:1 scratch coat with waterproof-er (if req) with a 6:1:1 sand cement lime mix top coat, lime improves workability ,set and flexibility and overall appearance when dry if not painting also breathability but not important on a garden wall

FYI Oasis, just did a small extension last week and was 2 bags short of sand so had to pop to TP to buy some - I have to say, it was the worst bloody sand I've ever used - it was like Brighton bloody beach when it came to float up, bloomin great rocks coming to the surface, was a nightmare. Thankfully it was only 2 bags and not the whole set

They sell it down our way as 'Trade Sand', more like bloody ballast if you ask me - Let us know how you get on

oasis said:
oh i see the FEB is the lime..fort the way spucky said it was in a bag like powder
no mate, feb is a trade name, they make allsorts of stuff, just that most people refer to 'febmix' as plasticiser..
its plasticiser your refering to in this case..
lime is lime mate, is comes in big white and green 25kg bags, its a white powder..
for fecks sake dont get it in your eyes..

so what does good sand have to it that TP lacks? its a hole new world out side work!

im hittin the scratch coat 2moro

maybe ill just bond out the wall then paint water seal over it a few times that sould hold back the english wether

ever tired to skim a wall with a mix thats full of little hard lumps? same thing but on a larger scale, plus when you come to put a float coat on you need washed sand, it means it aint full of clay and shite so it floats up nicely..

Status
Not open for further replies.