Render help!

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reeves1985

Right fellas had a day to forgot today!

Rendering my own porch and it has gone belly up hoping someone can help me out as I'm scratching my head

i did the scratch coat last summer and that has been fine I finally got my new windows in so thought as I had the day off I'd knock it out in no time

got tools out the van and started knocking some muck up

5:1:1

gave the scratch coat a light dampen down to rid of dust and etc

well the b*****d wouldn't stick!!!!

Done nothing different to I would normally any other day of the week I felt like a right clown!!

As this is my day job as well it didn't look too great with the neighbours

finally got it on but it was hat work!

But even after it was on it was blowing left right and cecenter what could have gone so wrong ??

one side is fine but the other 2 well I ripped it off so going to start from scratch

The best part is as the house was already rendered with a brickwork like pattern when I got it i only had to match the pattern!!

So guys/girls engine got a horror story like this they can relate to and what the underlying problem was?

the only thing I can think is a bad bag of cement but would this cause said problem

cheers

it could well have been your scratch coat maybe you was putting it on to thick or zero suction .

i guess that the render was not mixed through. are you sure it was 5 and 1, not 1 and plenty.

scratch had a shite key??????????? welcome to the forum by the way...........:RpS_thumbup:

If the scratch was done over a year ago! Was it a bit algae ridden?slimey?You gave it a light damp down? I would have gave it a right good drink first. Sbr slurry it, and coat it again mate:RpS_thumbup:Oh and put a big tarp up around it so the feckin neighbours don't see in case it goes tits up again:RpS_wub:

I have had this happen mate and I might be barking up the wrong tree but did your sand seem dead as in has it been exposed to elements as we had a job once where we used plastering sand provided by the builder and after a nightmare morning we'd realised it had obviously had some of the goodness rinsed out of it so we fluffed the mix up with a bit of building sand so it sat up more and stuck to the wall better.

Thanks for the welcome guys i have been a member for over a year and never posted

The sand was fine

i don't think it was on too thick as you can usually tell when you lay too much on as it bulges and slips and slides and then the weight of it sags it
itinerary leaning towards some sort of adhesion problem mymyself as now I have stopped shouting and swearing and thinking properly about it with the scratch coat being done so long ago maybe the fact I didn't slurry it could have cause the problem

oh and the mix was definitely 5:1:1

thanks

I would say algae is about right Fatty, the least it would have needed was a fkin good wash down (last week) and he could have tested it for suction control all this week before trying to match that 'brickwork like pattern' :-0

I hope that was pun!!! Lol

the sand was plastering sand

i was replying to an earlier post saying the sand was fine and in good order

Bubbles: your quite right it should have been sorted and because it was a mixture of me being at work until dark and it being my own porch you tend to just think it'll be fine!! And abviosuly it wasn't

we all live and learn

it just goes to show you how important prep is!

Spunky: ther was no waterproofer in scratch

i rarely do as I tend to find unless you are doing massive areas it keeps the gear wet forever and a day

Bubbles: your quite right it should have been sorted and because it was a mixture of me being at work until dark and it being my own porch you tend to just think it'll be fine!! And abviosuly it wasn't

we all live and learn

it just goes to show you how important prep is!

Failing to prepare is preparing to fail................:RpS_thumbup:

I have had this happen mate and I might be barking up the wrong tree but did your sand seem dead as in has it been exposed to elements as we had a job once where we used plastering sand provided by the builder and after a nightmare morning we'd realised it had obviously had some of the goodness rinsed out of it so we fluffed the mix up with a bit of building sand so it sat up more and stuck to the wall better.

Just about all sand has been exposed to the elements long before you get it and it should be thoroughly washed for rendering anyway. You shouldn't be using sand with or putting any "goodness" (silt) into rendering sand.

how can you render in fine sand ?

I've used a fine soft washed for a lot of my rendering for years Malc. Not as fine as the block paving sand but a lot finer than what's normally sold as plastering sand.

essexandy;598173 I've used a fine soft washed for a lot of my rendering for years Malc. Not as fine as the block paving sand but a lot finer than what's normally sold as plastering sand.[/QUOTE said:
the only time we use a soft sand is for pargetting. i do not like rendering in any thing but sharpe sand

IMO you need both fine and sharp. The action of floating up both binds and brings the finer stuff to the surface for a nice finish.

IMO you need both fine and sharp. The action of floating up both binds and brings the finer stuff to the surface for a nice finish.

i think the real answer lies with the the local pit. sharpe sand is variable from each pit. my local sharpe sand the grit is small ideal for rendering, but not sharpe enough to put through a screed pump, where you need plenty of grit for the air to get behind it and send it along the tube. if i thought the sand was too sharpefor rendering i would cut some plastering sand into the mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.