Render angle beads

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreeD

Private Member
Hi all.

Happy new year...seems to be fair bit of work coming in already, not like last year where I was sat on my arse for 2 months. Must be the better weather.

I've got to help a m8 out and render some block work up for him on a gable end (I know not ideal time of year) I'm only doing the scratch for now...Its quite large with alot of windows.

Usually I'd bead up as I go applying the scratch

Bit on this one i'd quite like to get the angle beads up before starting due to the light and getting it all done in a day.

I've tried using clouts before and found that a nightmare...

Any1 got a tips for dabbing or fixing before scratching...

Think i've got some krend base coat left maybe if I mixed that up stiffy?

I just nail them on, two different sizes of clout nails and some of those masonry nails with the washers on and just use whatever suits the blocks I'm on.

Or you could just use an edge and do them freehand, traditional like :RpS_thumbup:

fkin beads on S & C ..pfffftt

If the blocks are soft enough and take a clout easily I prefer to scratch first then nail the beads on tightish after. It gives the stones somewhere to sit into rather than rolling around when you are floating up. The river sand up here is never graded enough.

I just nail them on, two different sizes of clout nails and some of those masonry nails with the washers on and just use whatever suits the blocks I'm on.

Do you put your beads on before scratching andy, or after?...I think i remember you saying it's better to have scratch coat right up under neath the beads, so you have a evan drying time on the top coat...

Thanks all. Andy i've got some clouts, you got a link for those nails with washers on? screwfix sell them?

I use Hilti nails and Hilti washers. Costs a bit per box but they keep. They are cheaper off Ebay.

Do you put your beads on before scratching andy, or after?...I think i remember you saying it's better to have scratch coat right up under neath the beads, so you have a evan drying time on the top coat...

I do it either way to be honest. Most times I'll get the drip beads fitted right round the house and the angle beads fitted to the external angles other than the windows. I then get a side or two first coated and then fit some more of the window angle beads on the other sides if there's any time left at the end of the working day.

Thanks all. Andy i've got some clouts, you got a link for those nails with washers on? screwfix sell them?

Sorry mate I bought quite a few thousand of them at a very good price some years ago and can't even remember the make but they're about 25mm long and about 3mm gauge.

I always use the base coat to dab the corner beads out and put a big straight edge against it to make sure its straight. I tend to notice if you just use nails then the your angle will not be straight

I always use the base coat to dab the corner beads out and put a big straight edge against it to make sure its straight. I tend to notice if you just use nails then the your angle will not be straight

Speak for your ******* self. I nail my angle beads on and yet they are straight as.

This is the first time I have done it this way angle beads first...because I wanted to get ahead before scratching...one thing that worries me is depth of render...you can dub out reveals etc with the scratch then dab your beads on and know that the top coat will go on 10mm. This way round in areas running up to the beads i'm going to be 10mm thick both coats as I could only manipulate the beads so far. Hope that makes sense.

This is the first time I have done it this way angle beads first...because I wanted to get ahead before scratching...one thing that worries me is depth of render...you can dub out reveals etc with the scratch then dab your beads on and know that the top coat will go on 10mm. This way round in areas running up to the beads i'm going to be 10mm thick both coats as I could only manipulate the beads so far. Hope that makes sense.

Sorry mate but that doesn't make sense. As I've said I nail my beads on and always manage to put them on to allow 20mm for the two coats, you can't just allow 10mm for two coats.

Squeeze the bead to increase its depth. Nail in the corners of the mesh diamonds, put your straight edge on the bead and bang it straight. The mesh will concertina into the position you want but the nails will still hold.

Thanks Danny...scratching then beading is the way I was taught...

Doing it the way you mention I guess you could plug and screw with stainless washers the mesh...then bang it in place. Personally I don't get on with nails, but maybe that is just because i'm not using the right ones for the job.

The wall I was beading was new blockwork (gable end), the previous builders were kicked of the job...I put a level on the blockwork, and it was miles out and bowing in the middle. The reveals had also been cut right back and I could only just bring out the bead far enough to line up with edge of frame...in hindsight I should have dubbed it out in areas first.

Don't do much external, although I can render to a good standard, I always struggle with beading! simply because I don't do enough of it, internal works keep me busy most of the year round.

Yeah it's a pain when the windows dont fit the openings. Maybe you could have talked the customer into having the reveals chamfered and kept the beads a bit tighter..sometimes looks OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.