Remove Render, Rerender or not? + Rendering Tips.

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PlasterV

I have a damp Victorian wall, in which what looks like the old sand and cement render has blown. Would it be better to remove the render (its a big blown area). or just to repoint the original bricks and paint.

Also I'd like some rendering tips because I want to render a small garden wall.. :rolleyes)

Remove and repoint is nicer to look at certainly. It may allow it to dry out as well though I can't say for certain.

if it was me i would remove and render,, but then im a plasterer so it would only cost me materials ,, on the garden walls use plastering sand ,, scratch 4-1 with some waterproofer in the mix then top coat 4-1-1 sand, cement and lime

If it was me i would remove ,then mono :RpS_thumbup: ,to be honest i,m with John re point and paint

To remove the render and re point & paint would probably be easier and less troublesome. But this is on the presumption that removing the render is going to leave your bricks in good condition. If the brick face gets damaged then it might be a re-render.

There are many types of render some traditional like lime render or sand and cement and the more modern like monocouche a thick self coloured render. Some are more breathable than others, something to consider bearing in mind this is a Victorian house.

if you choose a less breathable render then look at what ventilation you have in place or may have a condensation problem.

If you render garden wall give it splatter coat with some 6mm clippings Sharpe sand and hydrologic lime ratio 1stones 1lime 2Sharpe sand .scratch 2half Sharpe sand 1lime and some fibers.then 3 1 for top coat could float or dash with stones very durable

Remove and lime render it and then lime wash, chances are that the cement render thats there now has knackered the brick, applying anything with cement will stop the biulding from breathing like it was designed to do, old biuldings and modern materials are like oil and water, they dont mix,

All I would say mate is this. If your garden wall has copings then do not render to the edge of the coping like so many do. If you have never done rendering before then get a splatter gun and build your coats of render up this way and finish with a plastic float.

splatter gun = tyrolean flicker gun.

Status
Not open for further replies.