Remove or not

huzzer84

Hi,

Rendering on the gable end of our 12-year-old house is cracked, moss growing in places. We've painted over in the past but obviously the cracks will keep coming through. Currently sand and cement on a metal blockwork.

I've had two quotes, both are recommending K-rend and are very close in £.

However, one is suggesting to remove all of the existing render, the other is just suggesting to fix up the cracks, make all good ready to K-rend over the top.

What would you do? One, the other, or something else?!

Attachments

• 20210126_125145.jpg
    20210126_125145.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 215
If price was similar I. First check there work then if the one who is removing old go with him if there both good

fk me that's shiit cracks all over it typical of new builds though...... wants taking off completely and re-doing properly anyone that says different is a clueless chancer.
could be opening up a can of worms as well wouldn't be surprised when renders off you've got bigger cracks than Katie Price in bricks as well or just general movement/weakness , problem could end up much bigger than just the render, needs investigating

Last edited:
That crack needs stitching. Being new build it might come off if the blocks are 7.5 newton but going over paint? In can be done but get a manufacturer spec.

Consider contacting Weber they do a product called Santane or they did 10 years ago, that is good for its flexibility.

Hi,

Rendering on the gable end of our 12-year-old house is cracked, moss growing in places. We've painted over in the past but obviously the cracks will keep coming through. Currently sand and cement on a metal blockwork.

I've had two quotes, both are recommending K-rend and are very close in £.

However, one is suggesting to remove all of the existing render, the other is just suggesting to fix up the cracks, make all good ready to K-rend over the top.

What would you do? One, the other, or something else?!
I’d ignore both quotes, the guy who said to remove is correct, the other guy who wants to “krend” over existing is wrong.
The quotes shouldn’t even be close in £ due to the fact that ones being hacked off, so consider that when making your decision.

I’d ignore both quotes, the guy who said to remove is correct, the other guy who wants to “krend” over existing is wrong.
The quotes shouldn’t even be close in £ due to the fact that ones being hacked off, so consider that when making your decision.

Nope; you're wrong as well.

The 'professional' solution was pointed out by Zombie, a few months back :inocente: :

Evening fine folk, hope everyone is well and safe.
Been asked to evaluate the render on side of this house. The render is solid but has a crack from corner to corner. Few other houses showing stress but no sign of subsidence or settlement issues. Lack of expansion or belcast along the apex maybe a problem. Would avoid a complete hack off.
Any thoughts chaps. Crack runs right along floor line .View attachment 54519

Run a sky cable along it and pretend its nit there