remove old bonding from wall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes i've used it before but i couldn't tell you what difference it made to sound as i just did the job.
It's used a lot on new work onto blockwork in flats staircases adjoining walls etc..

del said:
So the stuff on the wall is bonding ?

Del I have no idea, can you go back a page and look at the photo? It looks brown so I just assumed it was bonding of some sort, but someone mentioned it could be rendering of some sort?

Bonding is pink and a smaller particle, if its rotten, can go a pinky brown colour, and soft, and it tends to smell. Don't know what that is in the picture, just interested what was on the wall.

just out of interest is it a brick wall? i had the mispleasure if discovering no fines concrete walls a few months back. not nice when your opening two rooms into one! it looks similar to that?

It looks like they gathered up all the leftover crap from the site and gave it to the poor old spread to do your walls with the poor sod.

essexandy said:
It looks like they gathered up all the leftover crap from the site and gave it to the poor old spread to do your walls with the poor sod.

essexandy i think your right, isnt that how they did things in the old days? They must have started with render but then mixed everything left over from the building site to make the pink "stuff" on my walls.

Here is another angle of the wall, you can see a top layer of plaster then the stuff.

Is this a picture of a corner ?. Give up what it is, guessing again, poss white cement and lime skim coat, backing coat......fuctifino :) If you ever find out let us know.

yes sorry i shoud have explained this is a corner shot, you can see side on the thickness of the red stuff on the wall, the white stuff on top is plaster

del said:
Is this a picture of a corner ?. Give up what it is, guessing again, poss white cement and lime skim coat, backing coat......fuctifino :) If you ever find out let us know.
Looks like a corner made from Keenes cement.

Mate start with the electrics,if your gonna do it do it properly !!!.Get the plugs switches etc where you want them on what will be the new walls 1first fixed with wires hanging through,to piss plasterer off.
Attach a soundproof membrane to the walls.This stuff is only 2mm wide but weighs a ton.
Screw Stud work to the walls 50mm depth at 400 centres,you will have to put some kind of rubber strip behind the wood if you fix direct to existing wall,you can by special fixing strips to do this but i dont no what there called .
Fill the cavitys between stud wall with either jabelite / kingspan / celotex etc make it tight fitting as possible.( ideally you would use a 25mm sound proof quilt but this is very expensive stuff)
Then board or ideally double board with BG soundboard and skim.

Status
Not open for further replies.