Removable Fence Panel Suggestions

Alright chaps (and Jess)

I have a fence that goes from my yard to my garden where I store one of my kit cars and a trailer. At the moment I just unscrew a fence panel and drive my car out.

However I can only really do this because the fence is shagged and I need to replace it. I want to use concrete posts as that will then be in keeping with the rest but I don't want to go down the route of a gate as I dont want to make it too obvious that I have vehicles going in and out...

I know I can lift a fence panel out of the concrete posts but on a day where the wind is a little that gets sketchy!

Any of you guys have any clever ideas on how to do this?

Alright chaps (and Jess)

I have a fence that goes from my yard to my garden where I store one of my kit cars and a trailer. At the moment I just unscrew a fence panel and drive my car out.

However I can only really do this because the fence is shagged and I need to replace it. I want to use concrete posts as that will then be in keeping with the rest but I don't want to go down the route of a gate as I dont want to make it too obvious that I have vehicles going in and out...

I know I can lift a fence panel out of the concrete posts but on a day where the wind is a little that gets sketchy!

pass ask @tapit hes the inventive one on here

Alright chaps (and Jess)

You clearly need @johniosaif to make you a hidden gate.

Mate can I suggest a hedge instead they last for hundreds of years and the Forsythia specifically is an amazing hedge ,in spring time it is the brightest yellow then it changes to green like a normal privet hedge ,especially as your kids grow up they will remember the seasons all there life’s
Hedges are becoming a lost part of the country now with so many going for a fence but a hedge won’t rot and decay and won’t blow over in the next storm either

Mate can I suggest a hedge instead they last for hundreds of years and the Forsythia specifically is an amazing hedge ,in spring time it is the brightest yellow then it changes to green like a normal privet hedge ,especially as your kids grow up they will remember the seasons all there life’s
Hedges are becoming a lost part of the country now with so many going for a fence but a hedge won’t rot and decay and won’t blow over in the next storm either
A removable hedge ?

What's he supposed to do dig the f**k**g hedge up every time he wants to use his car?

Just cut panel down so it is not in rebate of post ONE side only

Put your panel in

Attach a lath to post
Reverse to to order to remove
Your welcome

having slept on it best i can come up with is use timber gravel boards cos thatll be an issue in iteself and feather edge panels but cut one of em in half vertically and add a few more laths on the back so you basically got 2 small panels. face em out to the world and stick a bar across the back with a couple of hooks in each one, maybe 2 bars kind of thing? that way.. remove bars, panels just drop in, lift out gravel board?

On a serious note. Just fit the fence panels as normal with concrete posts etc. preferably using the vertical shiplap panels. Then the panel you want to be removable cut it in half width ways and fit hinges to the cut. Fit a locking'bar' of timber or metal to the top and bottom rib.

When you want the panel out remove the bars and fold the panel. Then replace it, unfold it so that it sits in the concrete post slots and put the locking bars back.

On a serious note. Just fit the fence panels as normal with concrete posts etc. preferably using the vertical shiplap panels. Then the panel you want to be removable cut it in half width ways and fit hinges to the cut. Fit a locking'bar' of timber or metal to the top and bottom rib.

When you want the panel out remove the bars and fold the panel. Then replace it, unfold it so that it sits in the concrete post slots and put the locking bars back.
so bit like consatina doors?

make sense

so bit like consatina doors?

make sense

That's it, except you can't see the 'door'. If you use vertical slat shiplap panels then you can take out the centre board to make the cuts to the braces and put it back after nailed to one side to cover the joint. When it's in place it just looks like the rest of the fence.

You'll only need to fold the panel a few inches to clear the channels either side. Or you can fold it in half to make it easier to move.

Fix 2x2 in the concrete slot, then you can get hooks , they use them on finished joinery to hang panels on walls so you don’t see any fixings , I’ve done it at my own place , I’ll take a pic later if u want

These!! I can’t find the lug thst it fits over, but they’re about 20 Mm and this bracket hooks over it.

CFB22DA6-AB62-4762-8B84-C2C96A79D4D0.png

Imago has got the right idea to hide the join behind a standard vertical plank, although Dollar and Superspread's ideas would work. The main problem is that it sags over time. If you use vertical planking on the outside you've got lots of room to fit standard gate/door cross bracing inside. It's actually not hard to just cut the inside edge of the H off with a grinder to increase the width or swing. You need a longish rotating or drop-in cross bar to hold the gates firm in the wind otherwise it becomes obvious that its a gate. Wood bars work or you can use that slotted universal channel H&V /sparkies use. I use both but prefer the channel as you can easily fit a lock on it and bolt easily ojnto the "fence" panel.

That's it, except you can't see the 'door'. If you use vertical slat shiplap panels then you can take out the centre board to make the cuts to the braces and put it back after nailed to one side to cover the joint. When it's in place it just looks like the rest of the fence.

You'll only need to fold the panel a few inches to clear the channels either side. Or you can fold it in half to make it easier to move.

perfect that seems to be the easiest way forward :D

Thanks for that :D

Fix 2x2 in the concrete slot, then you can get hooks , they use them on finished joinery to hang panels on walls so you don’t see any fixings , I’ve done it at my own place , I’ll take a pic later if u want

A picture would be great :D

Imago has got the right idea to hide the join behind a standard vertical plank, although Dollar and Superspread's ideas would work. The main problem is that it sags over time. If you use vertical planking on the outside you've got lots of room to fit standard gate/door cross bracing inside. It's actually not hard to just cut the inside edge of the H off with a grinder to increase the width or swing. You need a longish rotating or drop-in cross bar to hold the gates firm in the wind otherwise it becomes obvious that its a gate. Wood bars work or you can use that slotted universal channel H&V /sparkies use. I use both but prefer the channel as you can easily fit a lock on it and bolt easily ojnto the "fence" panel.

do you have any pictures :D