Reinforced paper tape for normal tapered joint?

Jack McCombe

Will using reinforced corner paper tape (with the metal strips) strengthen a normal tapered joint?

The movable wall I am plastering is also curved, therefore a lot of opportunity for movement in the joints - so I’m trying to find a way of strengthening the plasterboard joints to avoid cracking.

Maybe using the reinforced tape won’t do anymore than normal tape, or maybe it will do the opposite and make it more likely to crack - but I thought it was an interesting suggestion. Any thoughts? Anyone used this method before?

Will using reinforced corner paper tape (with the metal strips) strengthen a normal tapered joint?

The movable wall I am plastering is also curved, therefore a lot of opportunity for movement in the joints - so I’m trying to find a way of strengthening the plasterboard joints to avoid cracking.

Maybe using the reinforced tape won’t do anymore than normal tape, or maybe it will do the opposite and make it more likely to crack - but I thought it was an interesting suggestion. Any thoughts? Anyone used this method before?

Why is wall removable

I would have thought ordinary ames tape would do the job, can't see any advantages in using corner tape. The metal in corner tape would probably be a weak point in a flat/tapered joint.

Whole wall, with scrim in the joints rather than paper tape. What you need is tapit tape @tapit

Like the sound of this yea thanks, so would bed the rendermesh into plasterboard, laying over the tapered edges (which have scrim underneath rendermesh)? Just trying to get my head around it

Like the sound of this yea thanks, so would bed the rendermesh into plasterboard, laying over the tapered edges (which have scrim underneath rendermesh)? Just trying to get my head around it
Scrim your joints and fill, get your first coat on and bed in the render mesh. If its a big area don't try to do the first coat/mesh in one go Just go at your own pace if your not quick

Scrim your joints and fill, get your first coat on and bed in the render mesh. If its a big area don't try to do the first coat/mesh in one go Just go at your own pace if your not quick

Thanks very much for the advice. Why would you use scrim instead of paper tape?

Stop thinking like a builder. You're going about making a prop, not a construction task.

You've got no chance of that not cracking.

Start thinking in terms of something light and continuous like hardboard

Stop thinking like a builder. You're going about making a prop, not a construction task.

You've got no chance of that not cracking.

Start thinking in terms of something light and continuous like hardboard
Unusually I'm in agreement with you knob head. Why would anyone even consider tacking and plastering a wall that needs moving around?

For a long while we've offered paper tape as an extra option on big new builds as I agree that they crack less. Very few people take us up on the suggestion.
Never ever used paper tape , never did tape n joint , I double scrim tapers , one on board and one after taper fill

That is actually not true. Scrim tape is a.lot weaker than paper tape.
I thought that would true in a static situation but in this case its going to be moved around and the thinking was mesh tape would be stronger under tension than paper tape.