Reiki wave ceiling

Members online

TracyJ

This is the after photo ( forgot to take before )! Of a repaired ceiling in my new build house..... Attempt 2 will apparently be tape & more plaster which common sense is telling me more weight on an already saggy ceiling isn’t the fix & it needs to come down. Anyone any thoughts ???? I know they used 60mm joists

Attachments

• 37600D7D-9811-43B3-B0AB-F22A309BA3B3.jpeg
    37600D7D-9811-43B3-B0AB-F22A309BA3B3.jpeg
    764.9 KB · Views: 197
Hello and welcome.

What caused it to be repaired in the first place?

It could probably have done with some noggins due to the spacing and I’d wonder what thickness of board they used too. I think you’re right. The best job here would be to pull it down, fix noggins to give the boards better support

Hello and welcome.

What caused it to be repaired in the first place?

It could probably have done with some noggins due to the spacing and I’d wonder what thickness of board they used too. I think you’re right. The best job here would be to pull it down, fix noggins to give the boards better support
You wouldn't counterbatten?

Oddly it was visible but the repair has made it worse - before you could see lines. The plasterer screwed into the joists then skimmed over, joists are still visible with an added wave effect

I do know they usually use 40mm joists & when 60mm arrived they just put them up using their usual plasterboard

There isn’t enough support which is why the boards are sagging in between the joists. Screwing further into the joists as it stands probably just enhanced the issue. Did they then skim it again? And now they want to skim it a further time?

This will indeed just add more weight. And @Stevieo ’s suggestion is a pretty good ‘less mess’ way of fixing it

I do know they usually use 40mm joists & when 60mm arrived they just put them up using their usual plasterboard

That's not at the bottom of it. I can't see from the photo but either the joists aren't correctly fitted - the joiner didn't pack them to straighten, or they're at 600 centres and not nogged. Replastering won't fix either of those things

As said before counterbatten at 400 centres board and skim dropping height a bit but easier and less messy

@TracyJ - I'd probably be inclined to be a bit wary of letting the spread who thought a reskim would fix it do this. If the joists haven't been bedded/packed straight - or maybe they were just wonky joists that the joiner didn't eye through to make sure that they all ran the same... whatever, if the problem is joists and not nogs, then it'll have to be packed and run flat with a line and bubble, same as replacing a lath and plaster ceiling.

It's not a horribly complicated thing to do but it is quite... it's gotta be done right, put it that way.