Redundancy to retrain as a plasterer, and questions inside..

GSXR0CHIS

Hey lads an lasses. So im bring made redundant in my current job. (Sheet metal polisher) and im looking at doimg an nvq 1 & retraining in plastering.

Just wondering about how to get set on with someone when i've passed and such? As i dont really know anyone. Got a clean driving licence so thats no issue. How did you go about getting work post training? Anything i should know before going for course?
Cheers chris

Tbf I recon you do well in plastering having already got an eye for detail in your previous job
What area are you living in country? If it’s East Midlands I wouldn’t bother with plastering and try something else but any other part of the country then go for it

All depends on your age and commitments, plastering isn't really a job you can just jump into with minimal training and start making good money.

Hey lads an lasses. So im bring made redundant in my current job. (Sheet metal polisher) and im looking at doimg an nvq 1 & retraining in plastering.

Just wondering about how to get set on with someone when i've passed and such? As i dont really know anyone. Got a clean driving licence so thats no issue. How did you go about getting work post training? Anything i should know before going for course?
Cheers chris
Oh dear god please don't.
Are you too thick to train as a plumber or sparks? I'm guessing so as you're too thick to have already realised that they're way better trades to get in to.
No offence.

If you are over 35 forget plastering
Will take you 2 years to learn how to get it on to a wall to good standard
Then 3 more to be any good at all & a another year or 2 to build a good reputation ..... 40s & plastering could not think of anything worse ! Easier ways to make money

Cheers chris
Speaking correct English might be a good start!

First off, sorry about my english in the post. I didn't proof read what i wrote. And now, re-reading it, it's pretty bad lol.

I'm turning 31 at the end of this month. An thinking, if i don't retrain now im going to be stuck. I like job satisfaction and seeing what i've done at the end of the day. How nice i can make something etc etc.

Course is a 2 week intensive job, 1 to 1 private with a tutor. Im based in West Yorkshire. Not too thick to do something else, but i enjoy seeing what ive done. And getting satisfaction from it. Worked with cnc machines when i was younger and it did my box in. As i was just a number in a factory. And all it was, was production. Couldnt take care & pride in my work.

Lmao left handed trowel? Is that to go with the long stand jim has got for me ;)

I can be a bit twisted, when needs to be.

Some I've met are all of the above.
Umm... guilty. I've got two trips down my neck that are just starting to kick in and a can of lager in my hand. I'm sitting on the bog in the dark posting on tpf.

Will that do for a start?

First off, sorry about my english in the post. I didn't proof read what i wrote. And now, re-reading it, it's pretty bad lol.

I'm turning 31 at the end of this month. An thinking, if i don't retrain now im going to be stuck. I like job satisfaction and seeing what i've done at the end of the day. How nice i can make something etc etc.

Course is a 2 week intensive job, 1 to 1 private with a tutor. Im based in West Yorkshire. Not too thick to do something else, but i enjoy seeing what ive done. And getting satisfaction from it. Worked with cnc machines when i was younger and it did my box in. As i was just a number in a factory. And all it was, was production. Couldnt take care & pride in my work.

Lmao left handed trowel? Is that to go with the long stand jim has got for me ;)

I can be a bit twisted, when needs to be.
2 week course won't cut it I'm afraid, save your money and look into something else.

Go for it lad, redundancy paid for mine and I'm doing fine. Start small and attention to detail....use the bidding sites to fill your calendar at first

F665BD76-CBCA-47E3-B203-2F567562A896.gif

Course is £1200. 10hrs a day 5 days a week for 2 weeks solid. Nvq 1 at the end of it.

YTA is the course supplier? If anyone has any experience with them?

Lodan do you remember when you made the leap as such? Looking back now was it worth it?

Cheers chris

Where do you live?