Recommendations For Plastering Courses in London/Essex

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

essexguy

Hi guys

I've been interested in doing a plastering course for years but never really got round to doing it. I've finally decided to learn and wanted to know if you could recommend a plastering course in London or Essex?

I look forward to your responses.

Thanks

I would drop past and see GoldTrowel.... they are in essex :)

There are quite a lot of threads on the forum about them have a search :)

I went to gold trowel( only 1 day assessment) but still a good place to go, got good little set up there, and blokes were spot on

Hello essexguy, I've just completed the six week city and guilds/NVQ at Goldtrowel in Essex. Excellent course, learn lots. Still lots to learn though mate. Good luck.

These courses are not gonna make you a plasterer. You cant learn a trade like ours in 6 bloody weeks. No way. I fingd it insulting! Dont waste your money.

people have to start somewhere....................im not saying they are ideal but they give you a good base to start in the trade

Welcome Essex, best of luck with it. Can be hard trade to get into, many spreads who taught dont tend to bother these days

Gold trowel are very good at what they do with support after the course second to none. They also sell tools at competitive prices

The attitude people have towards these courses are ridiculous people aren't going to put their lives on hold for 3 years while some cantankerous old spread shouts more muck and clean my buckets, I did 3 years learning with a spread then went to goldtrowel and the three weeks I was at goldtrowel taught me that everything the spread told me was a load of ****, start with a goldtrowel course then go work with a spread and practice on your walls at home, no spread with any ambition for making money is going to want to spend all day teaching someone who has no clue, I think everyone will agree a lot of the time apprentices can be a hindrance more than help. Goldtrowel was excellent, difficult situations and plenty of meterage.

The attitude people have towards these courses are ridiculous people aren't going to put their lives on hold for 3 years while some cantankerous old spread shouts more muck and clean my buckets, I did 3 years learning with a spread then went to goldtrowel and the three weeks I was at goldtrowel taught me that everything the spread told me was a load of ****, start with a goldtrowel course then go work with a spread and practice on your walls at home, no spread with any ambition for making money is going to want to spend all day teaching someone who has no clue, I think everyone will agree a lot of the time apprentices can be a hindrance more than help. Goldtrowel was excellent, difficult situations and plenty of meterage.
It can also be great learning from a proper spread,I have trained about four guys, no one in the last ten years has wanted to learn ,they were happy labouring and were scared to learn incase it meant more work, I could teach someone to labour properly in three weeks, plastering, no chance..

i always found it was the labours who dident want to learn ended up being good spreads and the ones who wanted to be spreads ended up going home because it was to hard

My generation don't seem to want to do anything but sponge if you ask me, asked my labourer to trowel up a wall the other day he looked at me as if I was defiling his mother

Gold trowel seem to have best reviews from what I hear I was going to go with them but I started doing council work and just started boarding skimming bonding setting beads and that and over like 8months I'd say my finish isn't too bad compared to other plasterer of 10 years on the firm but I'd say try skim anything and everything you can you will pick it up just be prepared for a month or 2 to do some sanding and get the easifill out :)

Well I'm on a day rate of £120 a day employed which isn't a bad crack but generally we subcontracting the bathrooms but price per bathroom is bout £3000-4000 supplying materials 2 guys 5 days a bathroom ish which isn't bad...why you ask?

God banging on about you're **** if you go on a course is BORING!

Obviously because I ended up on a course :RpS_laugh:

Sometimes you just want to be somewhere where you can throw wall after wall on and get the hang of merely skimming well enough to move on and be of use to someone. It's all more about attitude than anything else anyway. Who cares how you start out if your keen, a good laugh and a hard worker?

I wanted to do a proper apprenticeship under an old master plasterer someone but no one was taking on or maybe didn't take me seriously. I wouldn't be where I am now without going on a course.

Well I'm on a day rate of £120 a day employed which isn't a bad crack but generally we subcontracting the bathrooms but price per bathroom is bout £3000-4000 supplying materials 2 guys 5 days a bathroom ish which isn't bad...why you ask?

£1500 - £2000 a week on council don't talk utter tripe

I'm using The Plasterers Forum Mobile App

Not talking tripe mate but take off 2 guys money the materials electricians costs plus other odds and ends bit of profit for the firm there really isn't as much as you think left but yh sounds ridiculous and great but really it does depend on size of bathrooms some take us 7 days smaller ones take us 5 but is all done on generic codes list...but yh put it on paper looks stupid break it down it isn't really

Well not exactly a spread to be fair I have self taught myself to skim hardly spread I don't know if I can render or do other things you guys can I know most of theory behind a lot by viewing on here asking spreads and builders and watching while they are doing it...unfortunately I tried too get work learning off a spreAd but didn't happen so when I got this job the guy I work with had no spread so I said I'd have a go and I've just kept trying my finish isn't bad but I do have to do plumbing boxing floor laying tiling etc also I wish I could just be spreading but I don't know if my finish is good enough or my speed but I'm pretty sure it really isn't bad also 8k per month is deffo not in my pocket but its a steady wage I get to skim and we ain't doing bad out of it so I guess for now I can't complain hopefully one day I can just be plastering but don't know when that will be

Status
Not open for further replies.