recomended damp product ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Evening all

Got a job on tomorrow, gonna float out a utility room in bonding which has had painted brick work from day one. Problem is the external wall has got paint peeling & slight amount of salt coming through about 1m2 at 400 heigh. Does anyone know what i can get from B & Q which will supress any further problems after ive floated & skimmed it ? I know its gonna need injecting to prevent it ever happening again, but is there owt thats decent i can apply by brush if the customer want me to go ahead with a quick fix for now ??

Ive read up on Throseal which says it absorbs into the bricks which still allows them to breath, all good , but these bricks cant breath already as they have been covered in three coats of glossy paint which i dont want to remove ! Is there owt else ?

maybe just do a mix of cement 2-1 sand and loads of waterproofer..like a paste ..
iv been told 2 do this if u cant get theroseal

ill say your best bet is to separate the moisture from the plaster, usually batten it in treated timber, cellotex it, then board it..
bonding the wall will just absorb the moisture and transfer it to your skim, bonding is well porous, you really need to seal the wall first and to be honest youll be lucky, like oasis says, theroseal or tanking...but prior to bonding
best bet on a single skin is to batten and board mate, bricks are just like sponge when it comes to water, the only thing i can think of which froms a complete seal to constant ingress is a product called 'platon' from a company called 'triton' (not the shower people)
waterproofing agents will hold back any residual moisture contained within the wall but wont stop a continous barrage of water which is what you get on a single skin...
if gloss paint wont hold it back, how is any other product gonna hold it back? the reason tanking and such works (just) is because its supposed to be robust
just to clarify, bond it first and it'll be on the floor in a matter of a couple of months, if that...treat it first and your in with a chance...
always better to treat the source..

or one time i batton the wall but i did a line of dcp behind each batton to stop any damp gettin on the battons.

you could give it a couple of coats of sbr slurry mate you want to give the paint a good going over with a wire brush and and even cut some joints into the brick with an angle grinder for a key

you could give it a couple of coats of sbr slurry mate you want to give the paint a good going over with a wire brush and and even cut some joints into the brick with an angle grinder for a key

Good advice... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.