RE SKIM PLASTERBOARD AFTER WALLPAPER

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

PWP

just been asked to quote for skimming over plasterboard thats just had wallpaper stripped off and its left the boards in a state. can you give it a coat of pva then skim them or not?

try giving the boards a coat of pva then a tight coat of drywall adesive to fill in the voids on the damaged boards let that dry best done the day before.another coat of pva then 2 coats of finish have done this in the past and it comes up perfect.alternatively if the job allows best to replace the boards.

Did a similar job a few weeks back in a utility rom. The boards were in a pretty bad state. I used the wickes bonding agent stuff instead of PVA and got a very good finish with multi. Been back since and everything still looks honky dory.

I was only there for a day, initially, so painted the wickes stuff on first thing in the morning and started skimming just before lunch (I have my lunch at 10:30  ;)) I would normally recommend painting the stuff on the day before but there was plenty of suction in the old boards and it dried in no time. The customer was happy anyway as I've since done their lounge and a spareroom  :)

do this a lot for some of the kitchen companies we work for, you can double coat with multi, a lot of the time the paper damage comes through the skim.

We normally slap a coat of bonding over the dodgy paper bits to seal it, then double coat it.

Finish is great and there's no problem!

We use to do bathrooms for hotels and they had all been tiled straight on to the board when the tiles had been stripped the board was left in a right state all we used to do was tight coat of bonding and skim.

Status
Not open for further replies.