Re skim a skimmed artex ceiling

Members online

Cain

Hello and help!

A neighbour has asked me to skim their bathroom ceiling as she can’t find a professional willing.

Whilst I am only a DIYer, my plastering is quite good now as I have done lots in my own house including covering all the ceilings which were Artexed. Having the luxury of having time (and using extra time!!) I can get great results and find it very satisfying.

I took a look and the problem is that it was skimmed over artex by builders during an extension, but there is a large patch above the shower where the skim has fallen off, she assures me that levering the gap between the skim and artex it will fall down.

There is also a crack along a joist / plasterboard join line, down lighters (x4) and a ceiling fan.

My hope is that all of the plaster will fall off easily, I then propose to bond with a couple of coats of PVA and reskim. I am hoping to remove the extractor cover and mask it, but the downlighters I guess I will have to pull out and put them in plastic bags. Scrim over the crack and skim with multi.

Please can you advise if this sounds sensible.

My big worry is that I can only get 90% of the plaster off leaving patches around 5mm thick, please can you advise how best to reflatten the area before a final skim coat. Walls are tiled so new plasterboard would mean covering the tiles at the top of the walls, and the job is getting bigger - but if the best option please advise

Many thanks

Cain

Attachments

• 6E429523-7F54-48A0-9382-CA62D0038A41.jpeg
    6E429523-7F54-48A0-9382-CA62D0038A41.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 395
Hello and help!

A neighbour has asked me to skim their bathroom ceiling as she can’t find a professional willing.

Whilst I am only a DIYer, my plastering is quite good now as I have done lots in my own house including covering all the ceilings which were Artexed. Having the luxury of having time (and using extra time!!) I can get great results and find it very satisfying.

I took a look and the problem is that it was skimmed over artex by builders during an extension, but there is a large patch above the shower where the skim has fallen off, she assures me that levering the gap between the skim and artex it will fall down.

There is also a crack along a joist / plasterboard join line, down lighters (x4) and a ceiling fan.

My hope is that all of the plaster will fall off easily, I then propose to bond with a couple of coats of PVA and reskim. I am hoping to remove the extractor cover and mask it, but the downlighters I guess I will have to pull out and put them in plastic bags. Scrim over the crack and skim with multi.

My big worry is that I can only get 90% of the plaster off leaving patches around 5mm thick, please can you advise how best to reflatten the area before a final skim coat. Walls are tiled so new plasterboard would mean covering the tiles at the top of the walls, and the job is getting bigger - but if the best option please advise

Many thanks

Cain
Firstly she couldn't of asked many plasterers as that's a very simple job that any domestic plasterer would be happy to take. Board over and skim, about 5 hours work

Hello and help!

Many thanks

Cain
Agree with robbo lurp n chrispy but you want to give it a go so how about a compromise

You could cut out the area above the shower , 6" away from the walls ( 6x3 ,12.5 board )
Slap some board adhesive on the beams and screw the new board level with surrounding area

With the crack along a joist , scrape and hoover out the crack line , inject with no nails and then screw the existing crack line joist
Only skim tacky PVA
Look after your HAWK
Vote Boris

Agree with robbo lurp n chrispy but you want to give it a go so how about a compromise

You could cut out the area above the shower , 6" away from the walls ( 6x3 ,12.5 board )
Slap some board adhesive on the beams and screw the new board level with surrounding area

With the crack along a joist , scrape and hoover out the crack line , inject with no nails and then screw the existing crack line joist
Only skim tacky PVA
Look after your HAWK
Vote Boris
Or just overboard and save half a f**k**g year lol

Hello and help!

Many thanks

Cain
Are you Able?

Thanks all for the consultancy. Was hoping to avoid overboarding as the walls are tiled - but I suppose that could be worse. Would you recommend 12.5mm board?

With the downlighters and extractor - these would need removing first and then cutting in identical places - is there a trick to this and also will downlighters clip into double thickness PB. Thanks again and also for the humour regarding Cain - are you able - brilliant!

Thanks all for the consultancy. Was hoping to avoid overboarding as the walls are tiled - but I suppose that could be worse. Would you recommend 12.5mm board?

With the downlighters and extractor - these would need removing first and then cutting in identical places - is there a trick to this and also will downlighters clip into double thickness PB. Thanks again and also for the humour regarding Cain - are you able - brilliant!
Depends on the down light , some are capable ,with variable depth settings , if not then cut the original hole much larger.

Obviously I throw the springs and clamps away and use magnets if its the right situation lol

Trick is a tape measure, a pen and a piece of paper

Thank again, I’ll take a look (and the extractor) - but looks like over boarding may require new lights then.

Sometimes the down lighters have pull apart connectors, some screw terminals. If you’re not confident with electrics, then get an old wood chisel, and just hack the plaster by the edge of the lights, and push them through the old ceiling out of the way for now.
You’ll need to disconnect the fan. Should be a 3 pole isolator for that (big switch) and undo the connections and tape up end of wires and get out of the way.

I’d get some of the thin plastic dust sheets from toolstation or wherever and mask the walls off. Tiles are easy to clean, but grout can get stained easily.

If you’re on your own, 6x3 sheets of PB are easier to handle. Once fixed and skimmed, you can get up in the loft and drill a centre hole for the lights etc through the new PB and then use hole saw from below. If no lift then make a map first. Do that anyway.