re rendering a 1830s red brick built house - specification

Status
Not open for further replies.

meilir

hello, new to the forum and plastering so please take it easy.

as the title says, I'm looking to do a decent job, i have a three story scaffold + chimney up and i've spent the last two says hacking - i don't want to do it again so i'm looking for over kill basically.

I am set on a pebble dash finish.
I don't want want to subject the walls to the abuse of fixing the wire mesh.
red brick is pretty rough, so i don.t think it needs scoring

i think
1. Rend aid stipple on a dry wall
let it cure
2. SBR slurry coat (what mix)
whilst tacky
3. scratch
let it cure
4. top / pebble

where does the water proofer go? every mix i guess?
any brand recommendations / steer clears on sbr and w/proofer?
If im completely wrong please start from scratch (boom-boom)

cheers
mei

cheers mei

for stonedashing you need to be to work fast. it is not a job for someone new to plastering. i would get a quote from a local plasterer who can dash. to have a quality finish.
there are plasterers on the forum who would be able to do this work for you if you leave your email address, phone number and the area the property is located.

I would damp it, scud it with sand cement mixed ratio two sand to one cement, in the water I would add sbr to water at two times water to sbr, nice splatter coat all over, next day scratch with water proofer , mix ratio sand five cement one, sovereign is a good waterproofer to use, follow guide on can.keep scratch damp for a week, for dash receiving coat, you can buy it pre mixed and add water. Or mix ratio 6/1/2 six sand, 1 cement ,two lime,, have one 25 kg per 2/ 2.5 metres . Damp wall before applying receiver coat. If you are lost up to this point , leave it alone, bad peddle dashing is unforgiven un repairable.follow Malcolm's advice.
otherwise apply receiver coat ,not too thin or too heavy but fairly flat, watch how it pulls in and apply stones that are not too wet or dusty,have the ground clean to save the dropped ones onto a sheet etc.keep going until finished. Good luck. If its your first time,do asmalcolm says hire an experienced guy ,help him and watch also.

sorry, should have confirmed - i'm not doing the plastering, got a very capable guy lined up - i fully apprechiate the skill required and the fact that i haven't got it - i just want to be informed with a view to uprating the usuall spec, also i'll be paying at a day rate so i'm not trying to cut into anyone's margin. Just want a proper job and wanted to cavnas opinion.

whilst i'm here - does it make any difference what the spar is? - apprechiate that it needs to be clean other than that is it just a matter of picking a colour? - what about size does one work better than the other?

thank you all
meilir

am assuming the property has no insulative qualities , have you considered an insulated system , you could possibly get some funding towards the work, where are you in the country

warrior
yep have considered it
unfortunately as i'm not in receipt of any form of benefit i get squat.
Not overly enamored with the external insulation anyway - seems very vulnerable.
In my case i'd also need to extend the roof and deal with all reveals - also looks silly in a terrace. I'm aware of Part L1B thanks

mei

as regards dashing materials, flint is best quality,and ofcorse most expensive. in the middle i would place spar, and the basic is stone, pea shingle, with all its problems, usually heavy lime bloom.

sorry, should have confirmed - i'm not doing the plastering, got a very capable guy lined up - i fully apprechiate the skill required and the fact that i haven't got it - i just want to be informed with a view to uprating the usuall spec, also i'll be paying at a day rate so i'm not trying to cut into anyone's margin. Just want a proper job and wanted to cavnas opinion.

whilst i'm here - does it make any difference what the spar is? - apprechiate that it needs to be clean other than that is it just a matter of picking a colour? - what about size does one work better than the other?

thank you all
meilir

Can the plasterer your using not answer your questions?

warrior
yep have considered it
unfortunately as i'm not in receipt of any form of benefit i get squat.
Not overly enamored with the external insulation anyway - seems very vulnerable.
In my case i'd also need to extend the roof and deal with all reveals - also looks silly in a terrace. I'm aware of Part L1B thanks.
mei[/QUOTE. Your choice , but you don't have to be on benefits, good luck with it !

1830s should only be Lime realy mate.

good point,1830, it would be a georgian building. it is should be a listed building. better check with the local council,
i do not think that a dashed finished would be acceptable.
i would think a rendered finished, in lime, marked out in blockwork.

i know it would have been originally lime indented to appear as dressed stone. But by now, the couple of hundred houses in neighboring streets are all dashed, the lime would be too much of a statement i think. Not listed.

On the basis of there being so much dash, i guess local plasters know what they're doing - ( but ive also seen guys re rendering winter before last when temps were down to -12 at night) - so they're not infallible either.

anyway! back to the OP and hence why declared my intention for a pebble dash finish -

any advance / endorsement on malc's recommendation ?

many thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.