Re-render Advice, Gable Wall Victorian semi

Members online

rootytoottoot

I'm in NE Surrey looking for advice on options for re-rendering a gable end wall on a Victorian semi-detached bought recently.

There are signs of penetrating damp on both ground floor and 1st floor, plus an old attempt at chemical DPC.

The render is likely sand & cement. It seems to be well adhered to the wall, but is cracked and has been patched up in multiple places. The render also goes all the way to ground level, with no plinth.

Two different plasterers have both recommended hacking off old render and replacing with a cement and sand mix. A third plasterer has advised monocouche over the original render. It's been impossible to get a plasterer with lime render experience to even visit to quote.

Could anyone here advise how to go about selecting the best approach?

Also, what is the most suitable option at ground level (e.g. plinth, bellmouth, french drain, gravel trench)?

I'm finding it difficult to weigh up the different options due to the sheer volume of sometimes conflicting opinions/information out there.

Pics below:

External render - internal wall plaster has damp patches above the black strip, rising as high as 30 cm.
wall1.jpg

Cracks in render - 1st floor internal plaster is damp above the black pipe
wall3.jpg

wall2.jpg

Last edited:
I think you’d be best to hack it off let it dry out a bit for a few weeks then monocouche with a Weber system,going over an old rotten render never laid well with me tbh , Roughcast finish could be a nice option too on a property of that age it looks really good when it’s finished.

i would remove the render before choosing a system.
lime is good system but not always the answer.
need to know the reason for damp 1st./solid wall or cavity

I think you’d be best to hack it off let it dry out a bit for a few weeks then monocouche with a Weber system,going over an old rotten render never laid well with me tbh , Roughcast finish could be a nice option too on a property of that age it looks really good when it’s finished.
Thanks for the advice. As someone without much experience, can you explain why you suggest Weber monocouche?

i would remove the render before choosing a system.
lime is good system but not always the answer.
need to know the reason for damp 1st./solid wall or cavity
Yeah, it's a good point. The wall is solid and I'm expecting the brickwork underneath the render to be ruined.

If not lime, do you have a recommendation for an alternative system?

Yeah, it's a good point. The wall is solid and I'm expecting the brickwork underneath the render to be ruined.

If not lime, do you have a recommendation for an alternative system?
if its solid wall then lime is your best bet or if you want a modern look you can silicate it or even insulate it with rockwall and coloured render.
plenty of options..

where are you based there are some good applicators on here. but make sure they have well known or private member on their names

And dig up those slabs about one slabs with around the house so water can sink into the ground
Agree it needs to go alright, Slabs? That's solid concrete and too high.
Those diverter shields above the grilles are a waste of time. Rain running down is supposed to run on past the airbrick and soak into the ground, or better, fit proper grille covers.
Breakout and re-do that horrible filll-in around the boiler vent - bet inside is filled in with plaster too
That first floor to ground floor crack look like permanent movement and will always crack there.

Like the idea of Rough cast myself. I'm going to ask/suggest to the forum - with moncouche, due to the length of vertical run with nothing really to break it up, won't it get mould on the surface and look pants in short order?,