Re pointing work

Members online

Vincey

Private Member
Thinking of going into re pointing, been on YouTube to learn this is my first attempt obviously not totally finished yet
It’s crazy everywhere I go I’m checking out pointing on walls now and starting to prefer bricks to render

Pointing only fills the gap and stops rain penetration. It does not stick the bricks together again that only happens through gravity.

That wall looks completely shot and needs rebuilding?

Pointing only fills the gap and stops rain penetration. It does not stick the bricks together again that only happens through gravity.

That wall looks completely shot and needs rebuilding?
Yep I agree with you, if waters been running through that wall for donkeys years,with frost, chances are, the mortar that’s actually holding the bricks together will be shot.

Yep I agree with you, if waters been running through that wall for donkeys years,with frost, chances are, the mortar that’s actually holding the bricks together will be shot.
There was a long running argument once about pointing. So sick of it we did some experiments of pointing and every one failed to stick the bricks together. When you think about when pointing the mortar is always falling away from the overhead brick due to gravity.

Yes the strength is from the initial bond when laying the bricks, over time it weathers, re pointing will never be as strong as the day they were laid.

Some parts I’m taking top two - seven courses off lads it is a bit all over took a few days to take out cement pointing done in 90s which did wall no good tbf

Have had to do myself mate no brickie interested in doing in , it will take me a while but want to re use the bricks and try make it look kind of how it originally was

That wall will out live you ...it's yours do want you want with it xx

Well being as you can do the pointing that good. If the wall is bad why not have a go at rebuilding it. You would do a sound job I think.

Mick reegan
Andy Fallon
Pat hannon
And a few more il give you that mate.
West Ireland plasters are without a doubt the best of spreads.

Fallon had canary wharf.
That's the he fella I served my time with .....the rest where amazing spreads.

Dying breed x

Mick reegan
Andy Fallon
Pat hannon
And a few more il give you that mate.
West Ireland plasters are without a doubt the best of spreads.

Fallon had canary wharf.
That's the he fella I served my time with .....the rest where amazing spreads.

Dying breed x

Everything is sand and cement inside as well. Timber frame will blow away here they use to tell me. Everything concrete block.
They dont even use 9"x2" joists anymore. Concrete beams are the order of the day now.
You would be hard pushed to find a Snowflake in the West of Ireland.

Everything is sand and cement inside as well. Timber frame will blow away here they use to tell me. Everything concrete block.
They dont even use 9"x2" joists anymore. Concrete beams are the order of the day now.
You would be hard pushed to find a Snowflake in the West of Ireland.
Are you an Irish plasterer in the West by any chance?.

Get yourself a decent airflow visor for grinding out if you haven’t already.
Nice fresh air to breath and a visor that doesn’t mist up.

When pointing can you do say 100 bricks then carry on week after. And it still looks ok as long as you do same mix.
I.m tempted to do mine but know after 5 bricks I.ll be bored as f**k

Waste my time and annoy the people .................according to the mrs.

I have done various building work jobs over the years.

Why do you ask John?

Last edited:
Waste my time and annoy the people .................according to the mrs.

I have done various building work jobs over the years.

Why do you ask John?
Just wondered mate . Where ye from Ireland. Place I need to visit really. Need to make a bucket list

No I am a Brummie. When I first went to the west I was amazed at some of the blokes. They had all grew up on the farm. They went to work on the building and still did farming later at night and weekends. They would graft. Completely different to soft west midlander types who just thought they were fit because they ran a few miles at weekends.

My new next door neighbors have just moved in.
Their dad has been mixing multi up in a b&q orange bucket with his hands and pointing the bad bits on the brick work where the old pipes have been etc.

There’s sh*te all over their back yard and paving stones where he’s cleaned the expensive b&q buckets out.

Was going to help but was too funny to watch