re oiling my worktops

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who has oak work tops?

When we fitted them I put 6 coats of oil and the instructions say that another coat should be applied every month for the first year..

Is it me or does that seem overkill?

So tonight the wife is away I thought o would do it again at 10 past midnight....

20150410_001351.jpg

20150410_001357.jpg

I'd use a 2 pack lacquer like they do on bar tops. That's if they still make it, as it was never very environmentally friendly. Something like Sadolin PV67

I'd use a 2 pack lacquer like they do on bar tops. That's if they still make it, as it was never very environmentally friendly. Something like Sadolin PV67

You have to be very careful what you use on kitchen worktops. All of the lacquers and sealers are toxic to one degree or another. So anything that food is prepared on tends to be oiled so that you don't end up getting poisoned. :vomito:

As for the once a month oiling, it's a pain but well worth it as it takes ages for the oil to soak in fully and you can only do it slowly. Done over a long period is by far the best way and if you want it to look great for a long time then it's the way to go.

I have inherited oak tops bit have no idea of they are varnished or oiled or what maintenance they need ??? Help

I have inherited oak tops bit have no idea of they are varnished or oiled or what maintenance they need ??? Help
Osmo polyx oil . Very good gear, have a read up . For best results take all the old build up back to wood loads of wire wool ect..
Sorted my shabby oak work tops back to life and takes a knock.

Status
Not open for further replies.