quote help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MrSpoon85

i posted some info online a while back... way too back to be referred to and it was vague in itself anyway.. but here goes...

1 old single bricked building, 25ft long, 15ft wide, 2.7 meters high (excuse the mix of metric & imperial) ive been asked about sorting it out once again as they want to go ahead with it, so after teaming up with another spread of mine we have tried to sort out a quote including mateirals but the landlord at the pub who we will be hopefuly doing the job for, isnt very helpull atall, hes a retired chippie, yet after a chat and explaining we arent joiners and what not but are wiling to undertake the job, he isnt interested in what grade wood we use or anything really, so we've scrapped the idea of any joinery work ( bitchmastic floor and stud walls ceiling with insulation and vapour control type stuff :S because we know what he wants wont be to current building regs. ) and instead he'll be greeted with a price for plastering.....

what we have come up with in total is £2621 for the whole job, 95m2 total area, boarding taping beading and skimming, walls and ceilings ofcourse, that price includes all materials including the duplex pasterboard and screws/tape/etc i know its hard to saywithout seeing it firsthand but any advice/info would be appreciated?

the first thing i read was single skin.....scary damp probs etc
are you building an independant wall or d+d? you could give it a s/c scratch coat first to keep the damp out
apart from that i'm rubbish mate i'm a crap site spread who relies on surveyors architects etc :-[

the whole building will be havine timber stud frame all round with appropriate damp proofing measure and celotex insulation etc, but i wont eb doing any of that now, just boarding and skimming, just wandered if £2621 seems an alright quote which includes materials? anyone? :eek: :)

if its only 95m2 and two of you then to me its 1 day boarding and 1 day skimming, but even if you allowed for another day then your looking at max 1200 labour so the question is will it cost 1400 for marerials i dont think so, however if you believe the customer will accept it put it in but to be honest you are doubting yourself which is why you asked the question, in saying that i have no idea what the boards cost so i may be wrong but 60pounds for skim and tape still leaves 1400 for boards ond screws i would say revise it by properly costing the boards.

sounds ok to me, 27.50 a metre, say tenner a metre to skim it, tenner a metre to board it, easy get your materials out of the 7.50...
wouldnt wanna be much cheaper though mate...
if he wants a breakdown id put 12.50 skim labour, 7.50 boarding labour...just in case he decides he wants to save some money and board it himself, thereby giving you a headache....

Seggs do you want a job pricing jobs for me or have you got any jobs going on those rates i could do 6 months work have the rest of the year off ;D

ok, thats price - tax - fuel - wages - tools - clothing - tyres - exhaust - accountant - mot - tell me when to stop :D

or better still bod, price em well, and indeed, take 6 months off, just break that up into a 3 day week ;)
dont forget being self employed is a headache in itself, people who 'employ subbies' basically charge good rates for the job and pay the 'subbies' a hell of a lot less, not to mention lack of tools, holidays etc...
if you work for someone else and the job goes tits up is it your responsibility? or the gaffers?
i cant understand why people price jobs as though they were gettin a weekly wage on site?
when i first started on my own i made exactly that mistake, got loads of work, ended up with no more money than if i was working for someone else, was absolutely knackered at the end of the week and too bleedin tired to realise that i was killin myself for the benefit of other people?
my philosophy? get a good price in, do a good job. If the customer is happy youll get more. end of.
::)

no chance the customer will do the work himself, hes a retired joiner (done his neck in) if i was doing this job alone then id do it for less, but since im not all that confident ive got helpo from another chap on my college course, hence the high price and he has his set price per day. but on the other hand if we were more experience we coudl get it done alot quicker and what not :eek:

i was told that a phat sand/cement coat or two would be used internally in this situation! cause it could handle the damp better :eek:
with skim over top ?

i would paint some dpc on external walls, studs, insulation, boards bang bang bang ? :cool:

i was told that a phat sand/cement coat or two would be used internally in this situation! cause it could handle the damp better :eek:
with skim over top ?

i would paint some dpc on external walls, studs, insulation, boards bang bang bang ?  :cool:

boards screw screw screw

with skim over top ?

i would paint some dpc on external walls, studs, insulation, boards bang bang bang ?  :cool:

boards screw screw screw

yeah screw screw screw ;D

on pressure treated timber :-*

i dont evemn know whqt timber is being used yet, we riginally got asked to do all the dpc insulation stud work etc but after enquiring about what grade wood to use and not having any answers back we have jsut decided to do the boarding and skimming, actually come to think of it the studs will be softwood 3 x 2 softwood?

i dont evemn know whqt timber is being used yet, we riginally got asked to do all the dpc insulation stud work etc but after enquiring about what grade wood to use and not having any answers back we have jsut decided to do the boarding and skimming, actually come to think of it the studs will be softwood 3 x 2 softwood?

im no expert but i would use pressure treated on external single skin wall they can take some damp punishment if need be, definately paint some dpc on, 3 coats is norm

if you have priced materials at 600 then trust me you cant charge more than 1200 hundred labour if you want the job thats at 200 each a day if you cant do 95m2 board and skim in three days then your in the wrong job, plus it sounds like your not to experienced so in my opinion you cant charge top money, dont be greedy price to get the job and the experience at the same time

well like i said thats mainly due to the other guy ill be working with wanting a certain rate, if they do turn it down then i may well take it on myself and do it for alot less, i dont mind how long it takes me really, all i want is experience!

how much does this other guy want a day 200/ 250 it cant be any more than that if it is drop him like a stone, you have to be realistic espicially in these times, you will learn my friend.

£120 each a day, just the fact we're slow and it will take longer, hence the high labour cost, he thinks it will take 8 days :-/

8 days what a joke he clearly does not know what he is doing, skimming 95m2 on board 1 spread 2 days and no more, but theres two of you so will take less time, may i suggest finding a spread who knows what he is doing or risk not getting the job at all

hmm fair comment, but 1 spread can board 95sqmeter (35mtr ceiling) 2.7 meters high and skim the whole lot in another day? i deff need more practice! :-/

i only mentioned skimming when i said 1 spread 2 days, i spread and a labourer for the boarding

it's hard without seeing the job but you put the price in youre comfy with mate, i think what gps is saying is that a time served spread could charge less than you and do it quicker and no disrespect if you haven't been doing it long do a better job

Status
Not open for further replies.