quickest way to find the joists when overboarding????

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
If i'm over boarding l just get my claw hammer and bash holes init the new boards will cover them

Have tried one of those detectors but it's to much fannying around

I smack holes in at both ends of the ceiling then ping a chalk line.... this makes it easier for screwing the boards up.

Danny

what i do is tap on the ceiling, and it will sound hollow, and keep tapping until it dosnt sound hollow and thats were the joist is. simple but effective. most of the time ull be able to tell were the joist are because of where the cracks are.

i find the first joist and measure 600/400 off that and cut up to it either side with a pad saw and strike a chalk line down the middle ......timbers a biatch though if it's twisted it's all down hill ...........in twenty years time the lads will have it easy overboarding on a m/f ceiling!

if u find 1 joist then there usually the width of a hammer and add an inch on, thats how i do it then same as danny, ping a chalk line through

ping a line down all of the joists ..... but how dya know exactly where middle of joist is to cut your boards to ... ive been chewing this over all day cant work it out

i was told to use a bradawl and poke it through the ceiling until you hit the joist then force it through either side of the joist and mark the wall so you know where it is and measure 400mm or 600mm along and this should then be your next joist and the rest will be the same distance either 400 or 600 apart for the rest of the room

Most of the time the joist will be 400mm centres or 600mm centres find one then measure. ???

I use a nail instead of a brad, knock 3 nails in then work off centre one, better than belting a hole in when you want to keep the muck down. On big ceilings watch that the joists aren't fixed side by side half way across, been caught like this a time or 2 and its a proper bitch to sort.

Danny said:
I smack holes in at both ends of the ceiling then ping a chalk line.... this makes it easier for screwing the boards up.

Danny

same as

same as danny tap round the edge once you here the hammer on the joist smack a hole either side of the joist do both sides of room the chalk line virtually immpossible to miss the joist

gary the spread hit the nail on the head...oops sorry...5 inch nail....hammer...make the hole find the joist mark the wall job done....detectors are shite especially if your on a lath and plaster ceiling , as itll go off evrywhere cause laths are wooden too.......save your dosh

lad a used to work with just knocked the shite out of the ceilin till he found the joists bit messy like

I normally get my labourer to go around the room with a cordless drill, find the 1st joist nearest the corner of the ceiling in question and simply run a pilot hole through the existing ceiling until he finds the 1st joist . He then drills a couple of holes until he finds the centre. Then he marks on the wall where centre is and does the same procedure at the opposite end of the joist, then run a chalk line through if you wish and then finally drill a pilot hole in the centre of the joists to make sure they are running in a straight line and not staggered. Regards kosta (k`s plastering services).

kosta said:
I normally get my labourer to go around the room with a cordless drill, find the 1st joist nearest the corner of the ceiling in question and simply run a pilot hole through the existing ceiling until he finds the 1st joist . He then drills a couple of holes until he finds the centre. Then he marks on the wall where centre is and does the same procedure at the opposite end of the joist, then run a chalk line through if you wish and then finally drill a pilot hole in the centre of the joists to make sure they are running in a straight line and not staggered. Regards kosta (k`s plastering services).

do u normally get your labourer to drill the holes incase of any live wires ;D
Im with smacking a claw hammer into the ceiling and checking that way. if youve got a labourer with you, get him to hold a bucket under it to collect the crap

timmo72 said:
must be hard to know where to cut your boards to though (cant get my head round it)
when youve found the edges of the joists, mark the middle either end then ping youre chalk line then cut youre boards upto the line mate you know youre board will be on the middle of the joist ;)

timmo72 said:
must be hard to know where to cut your boards to though (cant get my head round it)

just stick full boards up chap and use fixing plate on the edge of the borad wonderfull stuff that fixing plate

Tommy

whats the fixing plate tommy? .....has anyone heard of the fixing that lets you go straight into the board not the joist?

Hes on about Gyproc fixing plate its a length of metal 8' long and 4" wide and about 2mm thick it catches the top of the plasterboard on metal stud walls over 2.4m high

oasis said:
how does the plate stay on the celing..well how do they work at all?
To be honest ive never used it for double boarding ceilings, But on metal stud walls its a thin strap of metal that goes at the top of the board so you can get a fix in the butt joint, like a noggin

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh rite..ill stick 2 my way then lol drill holes each end of joist string line job done no mess...or i did hear a shocking story of some1 either dabing of gripfilling boards 2 a celing and proing them up then and adding a few screws at the end..OMFG

oasis said:
how does the plate stay on the celing..well how do they work at all?

screw ur board up as norm but leave the edge flapping when u come to screw the end slide the flat plate between ceiling and board leaving half showing to catch the next board

hope that explains lol

Tommy

Status
Not open for further replies.