• stainless

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • both

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris W

im really geiing the hump with my stainless trowel, having been broken in, kicked around, sworn at, pleaded with.. the f'cker still likes to fur up the last trowel or two wheras me old carbon steel just had a lick of the brush at the edge of the wall and that was it...
carbon steel throughout?
stainless to lay on then steel to polish?
stainless throughout?

how old is it mate ?...............does the furring happen all the time or now and then

I personally use stainless but you are right carbon steel does get a better finish but its the ease with stainless i like just throw it into a water butt over night keeps um looking brand new you only gotta let a carbon steel smell bonding and it turns orange.

ish most of the time.. just a pain in the fcking arse...
never ever seemed to happen with my old steely one?
been well used too????
seems to like to be on it earlier if that makes any sense?
im gonna have to go get another steel i reckon and have it with the old diamond stone and a few hours on the powder :-\

ive f**k*d every trowel off apart from my 13" stainless gonna start a new one on the hardwall next week tho

I haven't used carbon steel trowel for about four years now but I do carry 2or3 different makes of stainless trowels as not all stainless trowels work the same, the Refina trowel I have seems to work just like a carbon steel trowel. Also I try to finish without polishing, it's just not big and it's not clever. Oh and I use a brush because I'm old (eh Oasis).

thats exactly what im on about... finishing without polishing... let it go right off and the stainless will polish it no worries but what i call a 'final trowel' gives the stainless a few probs unless its caught 'dead right'... steel will finish it from stiff to solid...

I use a mt and a tyzack premier, both stainless, for finishing and use no water, to be fair I used to use a ragni carbon and that was sweet for finishing. Also only yesterday I had to get out my 11" tyzack carbon for a couple of tight spots and I thought to myself how nice it finished off.

i was told a long while back it was to do with the softness of the carbon steel...s/s is alot harder, holds a sharper edge but not so forgiving , and will polish work due to this.......used to lay on s/s then carbon finish........now s/s all round,mainly cause im lazy, cant be bothered to clean wd40 rag it .......s/s clean water trowel pouch job done

right, now then, is stainless harder than carbon steel? not in my book...
mild steel is soft, carbon steel is hard, hss (high speed steel) is what they make drill bits from and is high carbon steel.... next up is cobalt... they dont make drills from stainless...
a carbon steel pozi screw will completely fck your pozi drill driver bit...
an a1 stainless screw will muller itself if your not gentle with the cordless...

i was told it but I didnt say i knew it lol......i could have that the wrong way round u know.......what your saying makes sense....maybe what i was told was that the carbon held a edge better cause it was harder metal...and over time my very small brain has got confused.....wont be the 1st or last time that has happened......person who told me knew their beans...might have to ask him again

i wasnt always a plasterer/jack of all trades phipps ;D when i left school i worked for BAe as an apprentoid and this shite was hammered into us ;D

are you having a trowel crisis mate ;D........i nearly sold my stainless now i use it again............if you do go with a new trowel get an electric sander some 40 grit metal sandpaper and a vice ..trust me it works ;D

Ive Used SS for a while as i dont plaster everyday so they are easier to keep, no rusting, but just recently i dug out an old pitted carbon MT which i had not used for years still had the edge on it and finished better than SS
Lucius

makes sense tho...harder metal ..sharper edge...better finish....the more i think about it the more i think ive got what he said arse about face ;D...sorry..ive not only let myself down but the whole team...im off to sit in the corner.....with my special hat on ;D

spunky said:
are you having a trowel crisis mate ;D........i nearly sold my stainless now i use it again............if you do go with a new trowel get an electric sander some 40 grit metal sandpaper and a vice ..trust me it works ;D
thats exactly what im thinking mate.. trowel crisis.... go and get another steel.... but ive got my new fangled diamond sharpening block (which, trust me, is the dogs danglies) to sort the bugger out with... only trouble is... breaking the curve in?

phippsy333 said:
makes sense tho...harder metal ..sharper edge...better finish....the more i think about it the more i think ive got it arse about face ;D
did you know that brass bushes(bearings without rollers, basically) work better against a hard shaft? (carbon steel crankshaft, brass bearing shells) - less wear...
to sharpen a diamond disc cutter blade, run it through something soft like sandstone...
wierd huh?

]
did you know that brass bushes(bearings without rollers, basically) work better against a hard shaft? (carbon steel crankshaft, brass bearing shells) - less wear...
to sharpen a diamond disc cutter blade, run it through something soft like sandstone...
wierd huh?

ive got lost here chris ... who was talking about prostitutes not wearing rollers carrying bullets..and rubbing up my hard shaft with a peice of soft sandstone....im sticking to s/s carbon sounds dangerous...im off to bed..;o)

of course it could be that having been used to carbon steel trowels for years then having moved to a stainless trowel whilst still adopting the same technique, yes i could be wrong?
maybe i should be throwing more water at the wall or catching it earlier as i previously suggested, either way, i end up with the same finish but i seem to find im having to work harder with the stainless...
what do you use warrior and why?

anyway, im boosting my google ;D
and not one f'cking person has bothered to vote! not that im arsed, ive had 6 beers ;D

o sorry forget that last bit about the voting.. id dint vote my own poll and it wouldnt show me what was wot? STUPID.. BLOODY STUPID THIS THING IS..

try more water mate ..........the other thing could be the plasters still a bit green for a polish

use stainless for skimming and have a carbon steel trowel for render,hardwall. i just dry the c/steel trowel off and spray wd40 on it when finished and its never gone rusty. have found troweling up easier with c/steel over the years and have noticed more wrist and elbow fatigue with the s/steel trowels

dunno bout the trowel thing but i saw guys polishing with a plastic trowl and i have to say that the finish was brilliant a lovely shine very even no stripes .i had heard about it before and thought testicles but it looked very very nice might have to try it

wunt bother mate when it dries there will be tiny little scratches they are a nightmare to keep good ive had one for years but cant be arsed with it anymore but i agree with you it can leave a nice finish but it closes the finish in too much for my liking

Status
Not open for further replies.