***Q&A this Friday with British Gypsum***

Members online

Oh Christ I'm finding myself agreeing with Tapit - Big housebuilders use a lot of product but don;t need a lot of speads and don't pay well. Don't starve them but make sure the rest of the trade is supported (above DIY's), otherwise BG will only have powerful clients who will screw BG down to a price that squeaks.
Also known as the Supermarket effect - even the big food producers get screwed by them.

Why do you feel big sites deserve to be supplied first, why is a big housebuilder who screws the contractors down to working for a couple of quid a mtr more deserving than yourself?
Also many plasterers use the sheds and pick up what they need on the way to a job.
This virus should have shown us that less is more, we don't need new phones every twelve months, we don't need new cars every three years and we shouldn't be encouraging big buisness that speed and dumbing down of traditional skills is the way forward.
Didnt say they deserved it but I'd imagine pressure will be applied by the government to supply major construction to help the economy stay on its feet

And then from an economic point of view I think general trade should be supplied before DIY bob, but would appreciate a balance between major construction and general trade

Surely at this time when we are still all in lock down DIY'ers have the perfect opportunity to use it ;):LOL: Professionals shouldn't be going to customers houses whilst they're there so it will all just end up in a shed for the next 5 weeks until we are allowed back to work - give it to the DIYers :risas:

before you get vexed im joking.. or at least a little bit.

And then from an economic point of view I think general trade should be supplied before DIY bob, but would appreciate a balance between major construction and general trade
Most merchants are only selling to trade which is good. Hopefully all the supply goes to merchants rather than Wickes and bnq

Most merchants are only selling to trade which is good. Hopefully all the supply goes to merchants rather than Wickes and bnq
What do you mean by "merchants" do you mean the ones where you need to be in the trade to get a card?

Unless you're quite a big buyer you cannot get decent viable rates from the merchants, per Bartholemew's point.
I have a Jewson's account but its virtually useless because of their prices, they only want the big boys. A few years ago I got paid by a bigger national firm to do a UK contract tender for building materials from all the national merchants, humungous discounts off list price from all of them.

Theres thousands of plasterers that through convenience, pricing and good storage practice choose to buy there plaster from wickes & BQ.

Why the f**k would average mrs Jones be buying plaster from there???

I dont understand this argument?

Theres thousands of plasterers that through convenience, pricing and good storage practice choose to buy there plaster from wickes & BQ.

Why the f**k would average mrs Jones be buying plaster from there???

I dont understand this argument?
DIY customers would buy from Wickes and bnq. Trade customers also buy from Wickes and bnq but I'd be shocked if a single person on this forum doesn't also have a buildbase, Travis, jewsons account etc

DIY customers would buy from Wickes and bnq. Trade customers also buy from Wickes and bnq but I'd be shocked if a single person on this forum doesn't also have a buildbase, Travis, jewsons account etc

Genuine question how many diy people buy any sort of quantity of plaster etc?

I've never seen it personally maybe fillers and the odd board at most.

Once the supply chains a bit more free move it back to the shelves. I dont know just musing...I get my gear at tradepoint but just know if it's on the shelves everyone who is bored will buy a bag when us lads need it go back to normal
Yes I get that they could have it like they sell their lime where you go to the counter first

Prepare to be shocked.
They'd be mad. Don't get me wrong I buy 90% of my plaster from Wickes, but if you're working in a town without one then you nip to nearest builders merchants surely? And if you don't have an account they charge you £10 a bag

Does anyone have any idea when and where the elusive multi finish will reappear?
Spoke to a couple of merchants and got a couple of answers ,'maybe next week' and 'July'

I gave up with the big builders merchants... they were so expensive compared to Wickes & B&Q (when b&Q was good)

When the merchants were selling skim for £7 a bag Wickes was £4... big saving and also wickes was open early and late... I rather get gear at the end of the day ready for teh next rather than getting it on the morning of teh job...

Reactions: BJP
I gave up with the big builders merchants... they were so expensive compared to Wickes & B&Q (when b&Q was good)

When the merchants were selling skim for £7 a bag Wickes was £4... big saving and also wickes was open early and late... I rather get gear at the end of the day ready for teh next rather than getting it on the morning of teh job...
Wickes is definitely handy as it's always open when you want it to be. Store the plaster better too.
You just have to talk to the guys in builders merchants though and they'll match Wickes prices

Ccf on Thursday morning
6E890FB0-F2DB-4FA9-858D-026690C2ADEE.jpeg

Go bg go bg