PVA

Hi, new and learning.

Progrip is expensive stuff but reduces suction, prolonging drying, and improves bonding so you can plaster on paint. Why not mix sharp sand with 30% PVA?

Have used Progrip over Artex.

Picture of old plaster with paint that won’t scrape off. Am going to skim. Prep with PVA, Progrip or why not mix of sand PVA?

Cheers

John

Cheers
John

Attachments

• 225125B7-C645-47D3-8CC3-1F3EBD4876C1.jpeg
    225125B7-C645-47D3-8CC3-1F3EBD4876C1.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 269
you can get a 10 ltr tub of Everbuild plasterers gripcoat for around £20.......that's a bargain for a pre-grit bonding agent.
why do you consider that expensive?
Try purchasing the British Gypsum equivalent pal then you can f**k**g moan

The aggregate in sharp sand is to fierce just buy what's been said above rarther than mess about like that

Can't see any advantage of mixing sharp into PVA , your roller will be f**cked with impregnated grit , better to roller PVA and chuck grit at wall ,
Is this so you can prep to skim later, I've been over skimming with PVA for 35y and never had a problem , seal with wet coat , leave to dry ( get on with something else) , 50:50 and skim whilst tacky ( never dry )

Also most sharp has some quite large grains which you could do without on the high points of the original surface

Applying PVA is an underated part of an overskim , pay attention to the drying time of the first sealing coat (especially patches) , it may reveal some areas that have excessive suction ( an additional wet coat may be necessary )

Applying PVA is an underated part of an overskim , pay attention to the drying time of the first sealing coat (especially patches) , it may reveal some areas that have excessive suction ( an additional wet coat may be necessary )

Said this before, it’s like a spark plug. Tells you what’s going on. I use pva 99% of the time always have. Over artex ceilings etc no problem.

Said this before, it’s like a spark plug. Tells you what’s going on. I use pva 99% of the time always have. Over artex ceilings etc no problem.
The problem with the post " crows feet " the other day ,on high suction cement render was most likely not allowing first wet coat to dry properly ( may be wrong , but my mum says I'm the best )

The problem with the post " crows feet " the other day ,on high suction cement render was most likely not allowing first wet coat to dry properly ( may be wrong , but my mum says I'm the best )

If it’s that bad just blast it with water to quench its thirst. 2 coats pva n skim. Never had this issue

If it’s that bad just blast it with water to quench its thirst. 2 coats pva n skim. Never had this issue
Usually after hitting the first wall and noticing the suction that's another good tip

Couple handfuls of bonding in pva
Skim in 15 mins rather than 24 hours
View attachment 32912View attachment 32913

24 hours?

pmsl :risas2:

If you know what you're doing (which you don't because you're a fake ass courser boy) you can get pre-grits to dry in less than 2 hours and even quicker in the summer.

I'd tell you how to do it if you weren't such a big-headed clever c**t ego boy.....but you're gods gift to spreads so you'll work it out wont you?

24 hours?

If you know what you're doing (which you don't because you're a fake ass courser boy) you can get pre-grits to dry in less than 2 hours and even quicker in the summer.

I'd tell you how to do it if you weren't such a big-headed clever c**t ego boy.....but you're gods gift to spreads so you'll work it out wont you?

Yeah then it falls off chubbs. Left mine overnight altho it says 24hrs I think. Even 2 hours is too f**k**g long.

24 hours?

Yes I've skimmed entry of pre grit same day been fine . Unnecessary leaving it 24 hour most of the time because it's already dried

Yes I've skimmed entry of pre grit same day been fine . Unnecessary leaving it 24 hour most of the time because it's already dried

Not been there to see if it dries. Otherwise would be using pva n skimmin in 15 mins. each to own tho..........

Reactions: Djr
Pre grit for me is great if your reskimming a full house otherwise it's a ballache for a small bedroom overskim either waiting for it to dry or 2 visits which is a definite no no . Sheeting up and clowni9around twice

Pre grit for me is great if your reskimming a full house otherwise it's a ballache for a small bedroom overskim either waiting for it to dry or 2 visits which is a definite no no . Sheeting up and clowni9around twice

not to mention the mess. it spits grit everywhere. Hate the stuff tbh

The fact you can't use pva says everything. Pva has been used before you was on solid foods. grit has it's uses, but not every fookin time.

I was using pva when you were still swimming around in your f**k**g dads ball bags courser boy,

I've moved on with my preparation methods over the last few years and with a bit of experimenting, I got the particular grit I use to dry in less than 2 hours during the winter.....even quicker when it's warmer.

When you've been in the trade as long as me f**k stick,you might start developing some brain cells to enable you to work things out like this for yourself.

• Funny
Reactions: Djr
I was using pva when you were still swimming around in your fkg dads ball bags courser boy,

I've moved on with my preparation methods over the last few years and with a bit of experimenting, I got the particular grit I use to dry in less than 2 hours during the winter.....even quicker when it's warmer.

When you've been in the trade as long as me f**k stick,you might start developing some brain cells to enable you to work things out like this for yourself.

So to clarify, the longer you are a plasterer the higher your IQ gets? do you see how you are undermining your own argument there chubby?

Most spreads are thick as fook. And the longer they do it the thicker they get. No offence @Andy g

The smart ones earn as much as possible by doing as little as possible. Gritting rather than PVA everytime is the stupidest thing I've ever heard in all my years months plastering.

You use grit because you had failures with pva because you're a f**k**g remould. All those years spreading and you can't use pva? and you call me a courser lollllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

So to clarify, the longer you are a plasterer the higher your IQ gets? do you see how you are undermining your own argument there chubby?

Most spreads are thick as fook. And the longer they do it the thicker they get. No offence @Andy g

The smart ones earn as much as possible by doing as little as possible. Gritting rather than PVA everytime is the stupidest thing I've ever heard in all my years months plastering.

You use grit because you had failures with pva because you're a fkg remould. All those years spreading and you can't use pva? and you call me a courser lollllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
It ok mate

You use grit because you had failures with pva because you're a fkg remould. All those years spreading and you can't use pva? and you call me a courser lollllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

Most spreads are as thick as fook?

you certainly fall into that category yer wet lettuce.

you'll be coming up to just a year on this forum soon won't you ego boy?

about the time you finished your course

shall we throw you a party to celebrate?

Most spreads are as thick as fook?

you certainly fall into that category yer wet lettuce.

you'll be coming up to just a year on this forum soon won't you ego boy?

about the time you finished your course

shall we throw you a party to celebrate?

Yes, post a pic of your chubby forearm again .

Can't see any advantage of mixing sharp into PVA , your roller will be f**cked with impregnated grit , better to roller PVA and chuck grit at wall ,
Is this so you can prep to skim later, I've been over skimming with PVA for 35y and never had a problem , seal with wet coat , leave to dry ( get on with something else) , 50:50 and skim whilst tacky ( never dry )
Yes Iwould skim later. Ok so difficulty with application of PVA sand mix. Will give it a try.
Why use Plasterer’s GRIPCOAT if you can get away with PVA leave to dry and then apply 50/50 PVA and skim when tacky on surfaces that