PVA onto dark/half-dry ceiling

Members online

KMYN

So I plastered over a shallow pattern artex ceiling yesterday but had to leave it as soon as I'd gave it a second coat because I'd dropped wet plaster in my eye and ended up getting it washed out at the hospital. Fun...

Went back this morning and the plaster was still dark, place is empty and heatings on very low. I gave it a coat of PVA planning on re-skimming it today, I couldn't say how diluted it was because I go by eye but I left it fairly thick because I was conscious of it not probably not drying quickly.

Went back 3/4 hours later and PVA still tacky so clearly ceiling has hardly any suction. Have left again and turned heating up and plan to go back tomorrow.

Slight concern having read a couple bits online... because the ceiling wasn't fully dry will the PVA have sealed/adhered to the plaster properly as long as the PVA is given time to 100% dry, no matter how slow? Or would ceiling always have to be properly dry before giving it a coat of unibond?

Hope that makes sense and any help appreciated. Thanks.

First of all thanks for the replies, especially the piss takers haha.

So this is officially my first nightmare job, love it. As explained in the first post, I gave the ceiling a coat of PVA on tuesday whilst the plaster was still dark and even by weds/thurs it still wasnt fully pale and the unibond still tacky on the dark spots.

Went back this morning, gave it another coat of pva and started skimming when tacky. Went back to start flattening first coat and saw these wet cracks and also big bubbles where clearly something was wrong with the pva.

IMG_2250.jpg

Again, got no problem with some piss taking so carry on! But all a learning experience for me so if anyone has any answers I'd appreciate the help. My theories are:

A) first coat of PVA was applied onto dark plaster so couldn't pull in properly and never sealed/adhered to it even once it was dry

OR

B) first coat of PVA was fine because was left to fully dry but was left too long before second pva coat (tues to sat)

Either way, it's getting overboarded now and I'll use it as a learning experience. Thanks for any advice lads and lasses.

So this is officially my first nightmare job, love it. As explained in the first post, I gave the ceiling a coat of PVA on tuesday whilst the plaster was still dark and even by weds/thurs it still wasnt fully pale and the unibond still tacky on the dark spots.

Went back this morning, gave it another coat of pva and started skimming when tacky. Went back to start flattening first coat and saw these wet cracks and also big bubbles where clearly something was wrong with the pva.

View attachment 45386

Again, got no problem with some piss taking so carry on! But all a learning experience for me so if anyone has any answers I'd appreciate the help. My theories are:

A) first coat of PVA was applied onto dark plaster so couldn't pull in properly and never sealed/adhered to it even once it was dry

OR

B) first coat of PVA was fine because was left to fully dry but was left too long before second pva coat (tues to sat)

Either way, it's getting overboarded now and I'll use it as a learning experience. Thanks for any advice lads and lasses.
Pva too thick, what ratio and how did you apply it.

View attachment 45386

OR

You can never leave PVA to long before a second coat, wouldn't make any difference. Lesson is probably just quote to overboard every time, much nicer days work and stops any problems. You'll lose a few jobs on price but each job you quote will be double the labour so it evens up

I've skimmed bare plaster. Yes you can Pva wet plaster but will take longer to dry as your trapping the moisture. Will dry eventually but not good practice doing that imo. I would of let ceiling dry, then Beeline sealer as its a pva emulsion. (Pva without going sticky) Let that dry for 4+ hours, or as I would do overnight, then plasters pva as normal and skim when tacky. Could bluegrit it but not as easy messing with that. Beeline sealer is cheap too. Good stuff..